Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D: Hard Disk Drive Got Lost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 torr

torr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

Hi all,

my friend tried to do some registry clean up with Innovation System Optimizer and after restart of computer he can not see the D: hard disk drive. He run the partition magic tool, which recognize the drive, but instead of D: there was a mark ?Partiotion Magic was not able to repaire this partion,or may be we did not do good :thumbsup: Can somebody please help us to solve this? How he can bring D: hard disk drive back to be visible for windows?

Thank you very much

Tomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

If yor friend was smart, he backed up the registry before fooling with it. If so, try re-merging the backup into the registry and reboot.

But since people rarely backup anything, I'm going to assume that no backup exists and work from there.

If you're using Windows XP, try using System Restore to revert to a time before the problem began.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx

If that doesn't work, we can try to reactivate the logical disk from the Disk Management snapin.
Click on the Start button and slick Run... in the start menu.
Type compmgmt.msc in the Run... box and press <Enter>
From the left hand tree, click Disk Management. Wait for the snap in to startup.
Where we go from here depends on what the Disk Management console says. If you could post a screenshot, that would be helpful.

Post back soon!

#3 torr

torr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hi Andrew,

Im unable to post print screen here

Tomas

Edited by torr, 19 March 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#4 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

That kinda sounds like what happened to me. I had this posted in the "Network" forum. maybe someone can shed some light on this problem for both of us. I wrote:
" Something weird happened. I was DL a bunch of bittorents using azereus. My PC was acting
funny so rebooted the unit. Upon restart my H drive does not show up in "My Computer".
When the PC is rebooted in the bios stage it does recognize 2 HDs. 1 is the smaller
drive that runs the PC & the other is my new 250g drive. So I know at least it is working.
I went to the disk manager and I can see both drives. The H drive has 232g free space.
I don't know what happened & I can't seem to get the PC to recognize the H drive.
Any help out there?Thanks!

BTW (PC running win2000)

Then projectfocus wrote back:
"When you look at this drive is disk Management does it have a drive letter assigned to it?
It could be that it see the drive but has not allocated a drive letter to it. If there is
a drive letter assigned try changing the letter to something differen and see if that makes
a differance.
"

Then I replied:

"Well I did try that. No luck. Probably did something wrong. I could see the drive in "Disk manager"
it was "G" but should have been "H". So I know the system was connected to the HD. I just couldn't
get the "H" drive to reappear. I found a forum where a guy suggested a program called partition table
doctor 3.0.
I got it. I ran it and it seemed to find the "H" drive. I wasn't real sure what I was doing
(it was 4am & I was pissed off) I ran a thing called "fixboot". It looked like it was searching for
clusters & other things on my HD. After 3 hours it was still running. I quit it and rebooted. I could
see the H drive now. But no files were in it. Its a 250gig HD & it says I have 232 free space. But no
files are in there. I hope I didn't format the drive. The program definitely DID NOT SAY/Warn me of any data loss. So I'm not sure if all the data (about 130gig cry-cry-cry) is gone forever or not.
-Any thoughts?
-Anyway to retrieve data?
I saw on CNet there are a lot of programs that claim to be able to retrieve deleted & formatted info.
- Any program you guys would recommend?
-Would doing "system restore" help? If so how do I do it in W2000.
"
Thanks!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

torr had some problems posting this screenshot so I agreed to host & post it for him:

Posted Image

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 20 March 2007 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users