Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Griffin Powermate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 copperzepher

copperzepher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:29 AM

The XP drivers for the Griffin PowerMate do not work well in Vista. I've tried various techniques posted online about getting it to work in Vista, to no avail. The only thing I can get it to do is control the pulsing on the bottom of it, but a more recent attempt at a vista compatibility test, I lost that control too, now the LED won't even light up at all. The control panel for it suggests that it works fine, but it just... doesn't...

Anyone having the same problem? Anyone have an idea on how to combat this?

Griffin Technology told me that none of their products work with Vista, but they are working on an update to be on the website in a couple weeks... I need to know sooner so I can return this device if necessary...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:13 AM

If Griffin Tech says their product doesn't work with Vista,

I certainly wouldn't argue with them.

If they then say that they'll have Vista upgrades within "a couple of weeks"

then it's up to you to decide if waiting "a couple of weeks" is acceptable.

Uh,

"a couple of weeks" is in quotes because to some vendors

the word "couple" may mean "dozens" and the word "weeks" may mean "months".

Sorry.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

I've tried various techniques posted online about getting it to work in Vista, to no avail.

I assume compatabilty mode was one of those? Did you install the drivers in compatability mode as well?
There's a lot of things that are playing "catch up" with vista. It's all part of the process.

#4 copperzepher

copperzepher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

Well, if so many people claim to get it working under Vista, why can't I be one of those people? I thought maybe the good people here would be able to help.

Let me explain the layout of how the program is installed (or is supposed to be).

The Installation folder only installs half the stuff you need, the other half you need to use the Universal Extractor to get out of the installation program, but to make sure it was at least registered (I hope) I ran the program and then just replaced all the files from it in their correct positions.

It makes a folder in Program Files, which contains an EXE (the "Driver) and a folder called DRIVERS which contains a .sys and a .ini (the installation only put one of them there, and not the EXE in the main folder either). It also places a .cpl in the system32 folder which is how you "control" the device. I hear that putting the exe in XP SP2 compatability mode will make it work, after you of course get all the files from the installation program. So you then run the sortcut on your desktop to the cpl, it opens, you try, the only thing that works is the LED on the bottom, and you close it, you get the Windows Vista "Did this Control Panel work correctly?" thing. I've tried yes a couple of times, but that never worked so I finally hit yes. When you open that .cpl (or reboot after installation, it places a thing in startup, the exe, but not the exe itself, so it never really runs on startup until you take the exe from the installation and put it in the right place) it opens the .exe we placed in compatability mode (and I've tried ALL the compatability selections, even Windows 95). Now if I could get inside the head of this exe (which calls itself the "DRIVER") I could see how its communicating with the other files (the sys and inf) and see how it likes that.

But that's how it all goes down. You have to MAKE the installation basically, theirs doesn't work. Now Let me tell you a little on what I've read online. M$ has completely rewrittin the Audio Stack in Vista, so any hardware thing that worked in XP that had access to Audio, doesn't anymore. Supposedly, when I'm turning that knob or pushing the button, it's turning up, or down, or muting, the volume alright, but only in that program, the cpl, the exe. It's not turning down system volume. It's connected to the program, so that's what it controls, now that doesn't mean that if I open up Winamp and try it in that, it'll control that, it won't... I tried.... but the Compatability mode supposedly gives it access to the System Volume... That's just what I've read... or at least a pretty good recreation of it.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

Well, if so many people claim to get it working under Vista, why can't I be one of those people? I thought maybe the good people here would be able to help.

Question -

do you have exactly the same hardware configuration as these claimants?

It may be that your specific hardware and drivers won't work with their "fix".

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users