Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeing Up Ram?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

Hi there! I haven't posted here in quite some time, since my computer's been relatively problem-free (KNOCK ON WOOD!). But I've come upon an issue that I need a little advice on, and since you all have been so helpful in the past, I've come before you again.

I'll start by saying that I did search for this in the forums, and didn't find anything. But if it is somewhere in here and I missed it, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Now, I'll admit it. I'm a game freak. But my obsession is with one particular game -- namely, The Sims 2. Now as anyone who has played the game will tell you, it is a HUGE resource hog. And it's been running very slowly on my laptop lately, and everyone keeps telling me that I need to free up as much memory as I can before attempting to launch the game.

The problem is that I have no idea how to "free up" my RAM. Is there anything specific I should do? Should I log off of the Internet, shut down my email, close all my programs? Would that be enough, or is there more I should do?

If anyone can give me any advice, I'd be grateful! Thanks!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

Turn off all programs that you don't need. Like internet browsers, MSN, AIM, any media players you might have on, etc.

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:48 AM

I always do all that. :thumbsup: GO ME!

Here's what I usually do when preparing to launch my game:

-- Turn off my messenger services (MSN & AIM)
-- Shut down my email
-- Unplug my ethernet cable
-- Get rid of as many system tray icons I can (I don't know if that makes a difference, but I do it anyway)
-- Shut off my Winamp/Windows Media Player

I downloaded a program to track how much of my RAM was being used -- and even *after* doing all of the above, I'm still apparently using almost half of my RAM. I can't help but think that there must be something else I can do. Would defragging the hard drive help? I don't think there are any programs I can uninstall -- I've already uninstalled all of the ones that I don't use, and it doesn't seem to be helping a whole lot.

As an aside...does the amount of available hard drive space affect things? I have a 80GB harddrive, and I always try to keep *at least* half of it free. Shouldn't that be enough?

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:02 AM

Defragging you're hardrive won't help really in gaming. More in general file accesing. Could you possibly give me some specifications on your labtops hardware? CPU, how much RAM, video card. If you don't know that atleats the manufacturer and model number. RAM plays a big role in some games and barely a role in others. Call of Duty 2 for example will run just as smooth with 512RAM then 2GB ram except the loading times are longer. Not sure on the Sims 2.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

OK. Well, it's a Dell Latitude D620 (just for reference's sake); it's got s Genuine Intel CPU (T2300 @ 1.66 GHz (2 CPUs). I have 1 GB of memory, and 490 MB of my page file is used, with 1968 MB available.

Hopefully this gives you the information you asked for!

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#6 silly

silly

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

i would have to say download ccleaner and run it. i freed up 10 gigs once :thumbsup:

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL about the use of ANY cleaner application; most of these can, and will, attempt to make registry changes. Some of these changes can cause applications to fail, or cause problems with your operating system. ALWAYS make a backup of your REGISTRY before using any cleaner.

"I downloaded a program to track how much of my RAM was being used -- and even *after* doing all of the above, I'm still apparently using almost half of my RAM."
Windows Task Manager should (under the Processes Tab) give you an indication about what is using it.

And you may wish to defrag your computer; this can often improve game performance when the game's files are not contiguous.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users