Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web-sites Visited

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marklafan

marklafan

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

I just recieved a new wireless web PC card that was was preactivated by my employeer. is there a way to tell if this way of connecting to the internet is allowing my employeer to view both the sites visited and any other files on my computer? Thank you for any information and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

If your employer has never had access to your computer.. in short ...no.
If your employer doesn't know your ip address of your internet connection, ... no.

If he has any of the above,.. then theoretically, yes.

But from what you explained, it appears that the employer payed for a wireless pc web card, and activated it, probably so he/she can get a rebate back. That's my take on it.

If you feel game, just reinstall your os, and you'll know from then on he/she can't be monitoring you.

If the computer belongs to them, then yes, they can see everything you do it, if they installed the programs. And when I say everything... that's what I mean. They can install key-loggers and other monitoring software on that computer... and at any given time, all they have to do is hit a button or 2, and they can sit back and watch every-single thing you've done on your computer... all the way down to showing them the web sites in plain view. And they can track you by your keystrokes and mouse clicks. In other words, they can tell everything you typed, all the way down to the capital H and the lowercase h.

But if it's a job related computer or it belongs to them,.. just be careful as to what you do on it, because it's not hard to tell what you've been doing on it.

#3 marklafan

marklafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

I fogot to mention that it is a laptop that i am referencing to. They have no physical access to it unless i send it in for repair. Does that make a difference?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

Do you access a corporate network for email or documents? If this is your employers machine it's theirs to do with as they see fit.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

Just to add to the discussion.. if you are connecting wirelessly through your company's lan, then they are likely to have a record of where you go and what you do on their router. If you do not hook up through their network, then no, they can't tell where you have been or what you are doing..

HOWEVER, as already been stated, in the event that you were issued your laptop by the company, there may be monitoring software on there. Now for the next big HOWEVER, even though they may monitor what you are doing, unless you signed an "AUP" (acceptable use policy) that stated that you may be monitored, blah, blah, blah, and clearly outlines the expected use of the laptop, they can't monitor you. Or rather, they can if they want, but they can't fire you because of your actions. If they do, they face a lawsuit for invasion of privacy. Even on company property, there are situations where employees have an expectation of privacy. For instance, your boss can not sit and listen to your phone calls, nor can they video tape you in the bathroom.

If it is your own computer, they can monitor your traffic through their server, router, switch, or whatever. That is their prerogative and necessary to protect their network.

Confuse you more? :thumbsup:

EDIT: Don't you love how we can make a mountain out of a molehill?

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:15 AM

Just to add a little to the mountain. :thumbsup:

As groovicus mentioned, you may be monitored wether you signed a AUP agreement or not.

Should they feel your web use is undesirable to the point that they want to fire you, they do not have to use that as the reason for your termination.

I employed 400 + people at one time and I can assure you there are many areas that they could point to as the reason for termination instead of your computer use. In other words if they want to sack you, they will find a way.

In short my advice would be this.( Although you did not ask for it.) If you like your job, be careful.

I am not trying to make you paranoid in any way but only want to point out a very possible scenario.

Just my .02

Dennis :flowers:

Edited by Dennis H, 20 March 2007 - 05:16 AM.

#7 marklafan

marklafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:21 PM

dont know much about computers so sorry if i sound stupid. all i do is go to my broadband connection program and click connect, then i click on the internet explorer. if i understand right, this means there is no way to be monitored because i am going straight to the internet and not through company

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

No need to apologize. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users