Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Winxp Firewall An Actual Firewall

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

Well i feel silly to ask.
Just got a new computer with WinXp Pro, and it is the first time i use winXp per se.

I am trying to unconfuse myself. WinXp comes with a Firewall..
but is it a worth firewall.. or should i just disable it full-time and get another firewall. I have trend micro, pccilin 2007 (unfortunately) Is the real-time Virus protection like a firewall, or should I disable that option and get another firewall?

In the past i only used the pc-cilin 2006 with the real time virus protection (with no other firewall) and never had a problem.

Sorry if these questions happen to be silly.
passing from win 98 to win xp pro is quite a jump for me :P
(thanks god i still could buy a computer without windows vista pre-installed :P)

-----------------------
thanks for you time
Azulite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

Disable the Windows Firewall, and use whatever else you have. Your computer will thank you in the long run.

#3 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

*grins*

Thanks.

--azulite

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Ditto ... Dump the win wall
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

Is the real-time Virus protection like a firewall

You need an antivirus, and a firewall.
They are 2 entirely different things.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Dang technology :P
-well, I wasn't sure if "real time protection" was a "new" term for firewall-

Okay then let me ask, the trend micro pc-cilin Internet security 14 has a personal firewall.. is it reliable? Or should I just use pc-cilin as the AV (meaning i would disable their firewall) and get a firewall (in the freebies options available out there) ---and well I prolly need to get ad-aware (for spyware.. even though TM has spyware protection.. i just prefer ad-aware interface).

----
Azulite

Edited by azulite, 17 March 2007 - 11:43 PM.

#7 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

May I make a few suggestions:
Comodo Firewall 2.4.18.184- http://www.comodo.com/
ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.302.0- http://www.zonelabs.com/

All are Free Only use one... :thumbsup:
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

I think all software firewalls are crap, personally.
I've never found a use for an application-level filter that most software firewalls come with, and 9 times out of 10 it hinders connectivity to the net instead of protecting it. That's why I simply stick to the SPI firewall built in to my router.

That said, I've ran several different portscanners while using just the Windows firewall, and it always shown itself to be safe and secure. If you're going to run a software firewall, I'd recommend using the Windows one instead of say, the Norton Personal Firewall or the McAfee firewall, because the both of those are horrible filthy applications. Posted Image
Zone Alarm isn't as bad as those two, but I've seen it screw people's computers up just the same, as well as confuse the crap out of them by inserting random "features" into their product like stopping all .gif files from animating without telling you!

I think the free versions of Sygate and Kerio are okay, but again, I've never needed to use them. When I was on dial up, I used the Windows firewall and it did everything I needed it to, which was precisely to block worm attacks and port exploits. When I put my wifi router w/ firewall on my DSL line I stopped using any software firewall because it was redundant and unnecessary.
Posted Image

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:56 AM

The problem with the Windows firewall, is that it only monitors incoming traffic.
A good firewall will monitor incoming, as well as outgoing, traffic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

You should find the right firewall for your situation and set it up if you feel the Windows XP firewall is insufficient.

Every firewall WILL require some maintenance. Essentially checking for patches or upgrades (this goes for hardware and software solutions) is the extent of this maintenance. You may also have to configure your firewall to allow some traffic depending on your needs.

Don't stack the software firewalls! Running more than one software firewall will not make you safer..... it would possibly negate some protection you gained from one or the other firewall you've chosen to run.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

Dang technology :thumbsup:
-well, I wasn't sure if "real time protection" was a "new" term for firewall-

Okay then let me ask, the trend micro pc-cilin Internet security 14 has a personal firewall.. is it reliable? Or should I just use pc-cilin as the AV (meaning i would disable their firewall) and get a firewall (in the freebies options available out there) ---and well I prolly need to get ad-aware (for spyware.. even though TM has spyware protection.. i just prefer ad-aware interface).

----
Azulite

You know, Azulite, the question "what is the best...?" rarely gets the same answer, even from "experts".

If you have a paid version of the current Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security package, then you have a reasonable "suite" and, in my opinion, don't really need to replace any of it's portions with something else unless you really want to go through the effort. As long as you keep your OS updated, don't open unknown attatchments to emails, etc. and you aren't surfing, uh, untoward sites, it provides reasonable protection.

You should, as mentioned, disable XP's firewall, though. In this case, you have a better one in the TM suite, so you should use that one.

Even with the PC-Cillin suite, I would still have (and did when I was using PC-Cillin) the free Windows Defender running (although some might not recommend using Defender), and run at least weekly scans with Adaware and Spybot, and maybe an AV scan with one of the good, free, downloadable programs like AVG or Avast!. (Don't have them run "realtime", only do a manual scan with them. Also, I've found that they will scan faster if you temporarily shut down your main AV program - in this case PC-Cillin.)

Good luck.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for all your advices.

So I'll use TM as AV and firewall for now and see how that goes.
I got a free webroot Spy sweeper program so I instlled that and i have the spywareblaster (just to block some of these spyware/dialer thingies to not install on the computer as i use dial up and had problem in the past. Calls in estonia are quite pricey from where i live :P I understand that spyware blaster is not a scanner).

So I would guess that if I keep everything updated (OS, TM, Spywareblaster and spy sweeper) and am careful in what I open and download I should be "quite" safe.

One question though. I know having two firewall or two AV running real time at the same tim is bad for my computer's ressources a well as for my computer's protection.. But what about having spyware sweeper and the TM real time protection.. do they conflict with each other or do they complement each other.?

(btw I would never ask what is best.. the best program is the one that is best for each of us.. not necessarly all of us :P)

Thanks again for your help

_______
Azulite

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

Having two or more Anti-Spyware programs providing real-time protection causes conflicts and system slowdown. However, it is an excellent idea to have several anti-spyware programs installed to use for on-demand scanning as each program has different definitions of what spyware is. When scanning with it, it is a good idea to shut down the real-time protection of both the AV and the AS, so disconnect from the internet while doing the scans.

You can see what I use in my signature below.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

Nice Signature, Orange blossom.
I totally agree :)

So in other words, on a regular basis when I am connected to the internet I should disable one of the two "real time protection, so or the SpySweeper or the AV from trend micro.

Sorry, i am double checking. I am just totally unsure about how TM works. If I turn off the "real time protection" does it turn off the firewall? Not sure if the TM "real time protection" is only for Virus or if it is for spyware too or if the "real time protection" also include the firewall :P

thanks again!
---------
Azulite

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

What you want to have running in real-time protection is:

1 Firewall
1 Anti-Virus
1 Anti-Spyware

I don't know how Trend has its suite set up. You'll have to check to see if you can disable individual components of the suite.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users