Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Access Files Through Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

I want to put some files from one computer to another through my router (both computers are connected to the router). I really am lost and have no idea how to do this. I tried setting up a network with my computers, but it said i needed some discs or the windows disc which I don't have. So can anyone help me out please?

I'm using a linksys wireless router, and I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I'm trying to do this with one computer running windows xp SP2 and a computer running windows 98.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hi Stirling, just so I have this correct....you want to trnsfer files from one pc (XP) to the other (98). You have to set up file sharing through the control panel. Do you have any OS disks?
Try this link for 98 file sharing. http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSha...ws/win98me.html

Edited by Monty007, 17 March 2007 - 09:57 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the reply! Yes you are correct and I don't have OS disc's for either of them.

Edited by Sterling14, 17 March 2007 - 09:59 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:31 AM

Asuming you want to setup a netwok connection go to (XP pc) >control panel>network connections>setup a home or office network> and follow the prompts, now when it comes to create a network start disk because you are using 98 insert a floppy disk and copy the files to it.
Now insert the floppy into the 98 PC, click the start button, choose run and type a:setup click ok then the network setup wizard should eppear. See how you go with that then we can move on and share a folder ect.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Ya, I saw that too, but my problem is I don't have a floppy drive in my XP system. I guess I'll just take the floppy drive from the 98 system and put it in, then put it back when I'm done. Thanks for the help!

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:32 AM

Before you start swaping drives we can go another way. On your 98 pc go to control panel>network>configuration>file and print sharing and follow the prompts. Once done you will need to write down the name of your pc if you dont know it under identifacation.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users