Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning Dvd's

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dawter

Dawter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi
I have an iso of a dvd movie. My Dell Inspiron 1100 only reads DVD's. After doing some searching I think what I am looking for is a DVD Writer(?). I want to burn this iso to a DVD so I can play it on my DVD player and watch it on my TV.
I see many numbers such as 12x and 16x when I look to buy a writer. I don't know what all of these numbers mean.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

The 12x and 16x are simply speeds - the disc spins at a certain standard rate, and if it's 12x it will burn at 12 times the standard speed, 16 times at 16x.

There are 4 types (that I know of) of DVDs. There are:
DVD-ROM - already burned, commercial DVDs
DVD-R/DVD+R - burnable once, or multiple times in sessions. Once something's on the disc, it's not coming off.
DVD-RW - burnable over and over again once you erase the disc.
DVD-RAM - not really sure what this does, but mine reads and burns them :-?

So.. when looking for a DVD burner, you need to check the disc types that are burnable, like the differences in speed and +/-. You typically want to choose burnable discs that are the same speed or lower than what your drive can handle.

Once you have a drive, you'll need a program to burn the image on. There are plenty, I use Alcohol 120%.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

Also, one of the main features you want in a dvd burner is one that burns double layer. Double layer burners can burn on 8.5G dvd's and 4.7G dvd's, whereas the regular dvd burners can only burn to a 4.7G dvd.

#4 Dawter

Dawter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Would this be a good one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-18X-DVD-Burner...6QQcmdZViewItem

Or this?
http://compare-prices.tomshardware.com/items/31201986

I just want to be sure the movie I burn will play in my dvd player like a movie you rent from blockbuster or somewhere.

Edited by Dawter, 17 March 2007 - 09:28 PM.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

I have looked at the link and that type burner would do you good,, but I have a question to ask you.

Why would you want to buy and risk your money on eBay?
You can go to Wal-Mart or another local store, and on the same day, have your burner, go home,,, and be happy. You have absolutely no idea of what you'll get from eBay,,, if you get anything at all. Don't go gambling like that.

To be honest with you, the average dvd burner will do what you need it too. I, personally have a HP DVD640i, double layer, with LightScribe. But I'd go with any brand... because really you're paying for the name, but you really want is the product to perform as required.

But whatever you do, you should scratch off the eBay as to where you'd like to buy something like that.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

And they aren't that expensive anymore either. Less than $50 (maybe quite a bit less on sale) will get you one that not only reads and writes dvds, but cd's too. It's a combo.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Actually, every dvd burner will burn cd's. But cd buners can't burn dvd's. The same for the readers (ROM). A dvd ROM will read both dvd and cd's, but a cd ROM will only read a cd.

#8 Dawter

Dawter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

"Why would you want to buy and risk your money on eBay?"

I have no intention of buying from ebay. I was just using visuals.
Walmart is fine.
You guys have helped me a lot! Thank you so much.

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

While we're on the same subject, you should download a tool called DAEMON Tools. It will create a virtual dvd drive on your computer, and then you can load the .ISO image file, and then look at the folder contents. You can get it here:
DAEMON Tools
http://www.daemon-tools.cc

If I'm correct on this, your .iso file will be in a format that won't play in every dvd player. A dvd movie that plays in all single dvd players is a dvd with these folders: (at least 99%+)
AUDIO_TS
VIDEO_TS

Some people do package up the above folders into an .iso,, but it's rare that they do.

If those folders are inside of your .iso file, then you're fine, and it will play in every dvd player you put it in. But, if you don't have those folders, then you're going to have to test it and see if it'll play in your player. And even if you get it to play in your player, it's still not guaranteed that it will play in another player.

If you have other folders inside the .iso file, then the movie is probably a VCD / SVCD format, and may not work in your player at all. If that's the case, you will need to convert the movie, then test it out.

Note: When buying your dvd burner, invest $20 for a pack of 5 4.7G rewritable dvd's. :thumbsup: You'll never waste a single dvd.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

Software like DVD Shrink or DVDFab will allow you to either compress or reauthor DVDs to fit on a 4.7GB disc, this means that you rarely would need the use of dual layer. Dual layer and light scribe are nice features, but the media is about two bucks apiece compared to about thirty cents for regular media.

One suggestion that I would make is to use good media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, you will have less failed burns and the disc will last years longer than the cheap brands. These are about twelve cents more than the cheap brands.

If you have the time and patience look at the deals newegg has, like these. The Samsung for $31.99 with free three day shipping is a really good deal on a good burner. You can also purchase your media form them, they have some of the best prices around even after shipping.

Edited by dc3, 18 March 2007 - 12:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Dawter

Dawter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

Yes, Newegg has the DVD's I will buy.
I have another question since someone said Go to Walmart :flowers:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5518024

There is a DVD burner. I read the specs.

"Requires a PC with Pentium 4 processor speed of 1.3 GHz or higher, 128 MB or higher RAM, hard disk drive have time of less than 20 ms with a minimum of 650 MB free space, and 9 GB of free space for creating a DVD image file (9 GB for double layer; 5 GB for single layer)"

I have a Intel Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz processor not pentium 4. And I don't know what the rest of that stuff even means. Is it saying I need to have 650 MB of free space on my C drive? Or can that space be on my External hard drive as that is where I am keeping the huge stuff.

Which brings up another question......My C drive space is almost all used up. I guess I have to upgrade but I don't know what all "upgrade" refers too.
I was told not to use my external hard drive as a C drive.
I want more C drive space but don't know what I need to buy in order to get that.
Thanks again. Sorry to be a pain... :thumbsup:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

A DVD burner should run on you rig ok, it might take longer but it should still work.

Free space on the hdd is important as that is where the information is stored between the read and write.

The C drive is usually your hard drive aka hdd, if you go to Your Computer and place you pointer on the C drive it should show the capacity and the free space. Upgrading this means replacing the hdd with a larger drive. Since you have the external hdd an alternative would be to transfer information from the C drive to the external drive to free up more space.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Dawter

Dawter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:51 AM

The C drive is where the programs are installed, not stored. I was told not to install programs on my external hard drive. I only store on my C drive what is necessary. I have 1GB of space left on my C drive.

#14 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:20 AM

The C drive is where the programs are installed, not stored. I was told not to install programs on my external hard drive. I only store on my C drive what is necessary. I have 1GB of space left on my C drive.

That is not really much ( to say the very least). This could potentially slow down your computer, even with a large external hard disk drive.

In order to inventorise what is eating up your space please download Treesize a nifty little utility which enables you to see in detail what you have and what you ca move.

A larger internal HDD wold be appropiate here. How large is your HDD?

#15 Dawter

Dawter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

My C drive which is my hard drive (right?) is 20GB. My space is being used by installed programs.

Edited by Dawter, 19 March 2007 - 05:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users