Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

Is it possible to get rid of a Microsoft update which has downloaded but not been installed? If so, how? Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Depends on the update. Windows security updates come with an uninstaller. Defender updates can't be uninstalled. Give the info on the update for a better answer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

It seems to have bypassed the "notify me" requirement of my settings (I posted another thread), so I am not absolutely sure what it is, but I think that it may be Kb929338, (which has been reported on another thread to potentially cause problems booting and on my security software site board as causing problems with internet browsers), so I don't want to install it if that's what it may be.... I don't want to uninstall it, I have the shield asking how I want to install it and I just want it to go away.

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 17 March 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

What, you don't think Microsoft knows what is best for you? TskTsk. I think that it is actually an update for their validation tool. Heck, it is just spyware. I blocked it a couple of times and then said what the heck to get rid of the nags. I just did a file search for it and found it. You could do the same thing and delete it since you haven't installed it. Whether that will get rid of the "shield"---Haven't a clue. If you do delete, let us know what happened.
Overview
This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the stability of computers running Windows XP. This update prevents some Stop 0x1a or Stop 0x0a errors. After you install this item, you will have to restart your computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

tekchallenged -

I'm going from memory here, but when you double-click on that yellow shield

aren't you give an option "custom" or something similar that then allows you

to select which updates to install?

Doesn't it also give you the opportunity to "ignore" an update that you've chosen not to install?

I'm sure it does, I just don't remember the exact wording.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

buddy215,
I believe this is the topic tekchallenged was referring to:
Windows Update Kb929338 Warning.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

There is a way,presuming you downloaded this update through Windows Update and not manually;

Remove WU downloads from the temporary folder:
Stop the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start / Run. In the Run box, type services.msc. Click OK.
Right click the Automatic Updates service. Click Stop. Stopping the service will take a moment.

Delete the contents of the Download folder.
Click Start / Run. In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution Click OK.
Open the Download folder. Delete all contents of the Download folder. Close the window.

Start the Automatic Updates service.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service. Click Start. Starting the service will take a moment.

By deleting the contents of the Download folder, you have removed any downloaded updates.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

JohnWho, yes, thanks, I hadn't realised that, I've now got it to go away
TMack, thanks, but that didn't make the shield go away....

Thanks everyone, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by tekchallenged, 18 March 2007 - 02:24 AM.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

JohnWho, yes, thanks, I hadn't realised that, I've now got it to go away

Ain't it great when a plan comes together?!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

There is a way,presuming you downloaded this update through Windows Update and not manually;

Remove WU downloads from the temporary folder:
Stop the Automatic Updates service.
Right click the Automatic Updates service. Click Stop. Stopping the service will take a moment.

Delete the contents of the Download folder.
Click Start / Run. In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution Click OK.
Open the Download folder. Delete all contents of the Download folder. Close the window.

Start the Automatic Updates service.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service. Click Start. Starting the service will take a moment.

By deleting the contents of the Download folder, you have removed any downloaded updates.

But by doing this, will this make Windows Update recognize that you no longer have the files downloaded on your computer ready to be installed, or will it continue to think that's your status, even though you've deleted the files. I'm thinking it's the latter, which would be problematic if you later needed to install the update in question (which wouldn't be this particular update, but I'm asking more for WGA Notification -- as I've got that downloaded, but canceled out of the install). If I do this with that one, then there comes the time I have to have it, and Windows Update still thinks I have the files downloaded and ready to install, but I really don't, I can see that maybe causing problems. Know what I mean? Maybe it's better just to leave the uninstalled files on my computer...? Thoughts? Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users