Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding A Laptop To My Main Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fruitella

fruitella

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi all... Iv recently bought a laptop hoping to connect it to my main computer so i can use 2 aol screen names at the same time.
When i tried to install aol onto the laptop it said i had to plug the ethernet cable into the back..When i tried this it was the wrong size as it has a dial up modem i think so i took it to a shop and they told me to buy a WIRELESS LAN CARDBUS which would sort my problem out.
I think i have installed it ok on the laptop but its still saying i need to plug the ethernet cable in when i try and install aol.
I have a NETGEAR WIRELESS ADSL MODEM ROUTER DG834G on my main computer and when i asked for help through aol live help it said they do not support the cardbus adapter i have bought.
I am totally baffled and havent a clue what im doing so can anyone help please...
I hope iv described my problem enough for you to understand as im not very good on the workings of a comp lol.
Thanks for listening love Jayne x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Let me first point out the main problem, AOL. As much as people like to think so, AOL isn't all that great for your computer. It manages to find a way into every crack and crevice and imbed itself in the registry.
Now onto solving your problem...
Did you try opening up internet explorer to see if you have internet access? and also, is the wireless card configured properly? What model laptop do you have?

*Note: If you want to run two screen names at once just for instant messaging, AIM has an option where you can link screen names and have the buddy list for both screen names up and running. If you'd like to this instead, let me know and I'll run you through how to do it. Also note that linked screen names only need one computer and one aim window open.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 fruitella

fruitella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

iv got a compaq presario laptop..and i think iv installed the adapter right although im not too sure..
i really havent a clue what im doing to tell you the truth....my aim is to be able to go 2 screen names at the same time and go onto a games site with my daughter called www.pogo.com so we can be partners in some of the games.
iv tried opening internet explorer on my laptop but it says the page cannot be displayed.
I can open it up on the main computer no problem.
Thanks a lot love Jayne x

#4 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:33 AM

you have to use the desktop computer to adjust the settings for your card and and your router.and you need to add the laptop to your local network.there should be instructions that came with the wireless card.if you type in your ip address into your browser bar from the desktop computer it should come up to the homepage of your router.

Edited by acidburned, 18 March 2007 - 01:37 AM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

This is going to be a networking issue not a ISP issue. If the card and computer are configured properly AOL should connect without seeing the card at all.
I would like to ask a few questions if I may?
What Make and model computer do you have? A Compaq "What"?
What operating system do you have? XP Home, XP Professional, 2000 pro, ME, 98,..?
What is the brand and model of Card Bus adapter do you have?
Is AOL your primary provider, or do you have your broadband through a different ISP?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

These are the steps I'd go through:
1. Check with your provider to make sure your wireless doesn't need to be paid for separately and is enabled.
2. Find out what the router's address is, such as 192.168.1.1 - different routers use different setups.
3. You can type the address, once you determine what it is, into your desktop computer's browser and it will take you into the router's setup screen. (You need to find instructions on how to do this - different routers have different options)
4. Make sure the SSID is the same on the router and the wireless card.
5. Just in case, go to the Device Manager and check to make sure the wireless card is in there and functioning. A big yellow ! or ? means you have a problem and it isn't installed correctly. The easy way to get into the Device Manager is to start by holding the Windows key (between the alt and ctrl keys) and tapping the Pause/Break key. However, this can be difficult on a laptop because some of them require you to also hold a fn (function key) or the shift key to enable Pause/Break.
6. Check the instructions on the wireless card utility and how it determines whether you're connected and the signal strength, etc. Some of them also have troubleshooting utilities.

#7 fruitella

fruitella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

im all sorted now thanks very much for all the advice your very kind..
Love Jayne xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users