Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lcd Tv As Monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vancreef

vancreef

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

i have a 47" LCD TV that has a VGA input to connect to a PC. I have a laptop and have connected the two with a VGA lead but i can't get my TV to display my desktop without chopping both ends of the picture off. dispite changing loads of settings on my laptop, the best i can get is either a tiny, compressed image in the middle of my TV screen or a fullscreen but with the "start button" and the time missing from either side. the TV has several aspect ratios but this function is not avaiable when the PC input is selected, so i cant change anything on the TV. my laptop has graphics options , one is fullscreen, but this just gives a "zoomed in" appearance and cuts off the taskbar as well. the TV is 1920x1080 pixels, so i tried changing the output from the laptop to this setting but it didn't work. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

Hi vancreef.
Without knowing the HW you're working with, it's going to make it more difficult to help you.
Please post make and model of both the laptop and the lcd television.

#3 vancreef

vancreef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

sorry.
the TV is a Toshiba 47WLT66.
the laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V3405 with Windows XP home.
thanks.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

Hi again vancreef.
Sorry it took me a while to get back. To be honest, I lost track of a few posts, including this one.
Anyway, this will be easier if we are both looking at your television manual. According to the manual, while in the pc setup menu, you should be able to adjust horizontal and vertical height, width and position to anything you desire. The full manual is here in pdf, see page 30.
And just so we're straight on your notebook, the television is showing as a secondary display, correct?

Edited by HitSquad, 18 March 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#5 vancreef

vancreef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

hi and thanks for your reply. the setting on my LCD to change the size of the the screen is disabled when the PC is plugged in and no matter how i try to change the aspect ratio of the screen it just reverts back to the default one. any ideas?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Update the video drivers on the Toshiba to see if you can get some additional settings.

I've setup a 47" Panasonic TV without problem at work. I've setup a 32" Sharp at home that won't display properly at 800x600 - but will display correctly at anything over that. And I'm setting up a 32" Sony now at work and do have some problems with the edges of the Windows being off the screen that the settings change wouldn't fix. These are all Desktop PC's tho', and probably have more flexible video cards than the one's built into a laptop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users