Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Adobe Reader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

Howdy,

I was just on the Adobe web site. I see that they have Adobe Reader 8 available for download. I currently have Adobe Reader 7.

Should I remove Adobe 7 before downloading 8 or will it automatically overwrite 7 ?

I also have Adobe Download Manager. Should that be removed also before downloading version 8 ?

Thank You for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 17 March 2007 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

Hi Dennis.
It has always been my experience with Adobe products, and I use alot of them, is that unless it's an incremental update, it always best to uninstall the old version first. You're upgrading to a whole new version so I would remove 7 first. You can leave the update manager if you like but it's only purpose is just in case you lose your connection, you won't have to start over. It's not required for an adobe product to function and I personally don't use it. Do a direct download, save it to your drive, run the install from there. After installation is complete, delete the downloaded file.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

Hi Dennis.
It has always been my experience with Adobe products, and I use alot of them, is that unless it's an incremental update, it always best to uninstall the old version first. You're upgrading to a whole new version so I would remove 7 first. You can leave the update manager if you like but it's only purpose is just in case you lose your connection, you won't have to start over. It's not required for an adobe product to function and I personally don't use it. Do a direct download, save it to your drive, run the install from there. After installation is complete, delete the downloaded file.

Thanks for the reply HitSquad.

I am going to give it a shot now. Could you explain save it to your drive ? Usually when I download programs I just click install and then run. Apparently that is not the way to do it.

Thanks,

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

Go here to get the full download and simply save it to your drive. After the download is complete, run the .exe. After install is finished, delete the download, you don't need it anymore, unless you want to burn a backup copy first of course. :thumbsup:
Exit any running apps before you run the installer.

Edited by HitSquad, 17 March 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:17 AM

Go here to get the full download and simply save it to your drive. After the download is complete, run the .exe. After install is finished, delete the download, you don't need it anymore, unless you want to burn a backup copy first of course. :thumbsup:
Exit any running apps before you run the installer.

OK I understand now.

Thanks,

Dennis :flowers:

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

All taken care of. I am now Adobeized. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help HitSquad.

Dennis

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

Dennis, the two most used folders on my hard drive are called "downloads" and "backups." I have learned the hard way never to run/install applications when I download them. Downloading them first into the "download" folder serves two purposes: first, you can always scan them with your anti-virus if they are from a dubious source, and second, you then can save them to a backup folder to use in case you need to re-install them.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

Dennis, the two most used folders on my hard drive are called "downloads" and "backups." I have learned the hard way never to run/install applications when I download them. Downloading them first into the "download" folder serves two purposes: first, you can always scan them with your anti-virus if they are from a dubious source, and second, you then can save them to a backup folder to use in case you need to re-install them.
Cheers,
John

Thanks jgweed.

I see your point. I guess I have just been lucky so far, or I may have picked up some sort of monster in the past and not known where it came from and then had it removed during routine scanning with my security programs.

Edited by Dennis H, 17 March 2007 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users