Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyscrambler By Qfx Software

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:47 AM

Hello Everyone :thumbsup:

I am considering a download and install of the topic title software. Seems like a darn good idea to me, but darn good ideas can go horribly wrong quickly huh? :trumpet:

Would like to hear your recommendations, pros, cons, experience regarding KeyScrambler.

Happy Computing... GRJ :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

According to Grinler, it does what it's supposed to:
Review by Grinler
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

tg1911.... Thanks for that... I did search the site, but for some reason I didn't get that topic you cited. Maybe I just missed it. Sounds good.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:41 AM

You're welcome, Globe Roamer Jeff.
That was an excerpt from Grinler's Blog?.

You can check out some of the other members blogs, by clicking the Blogs link at the top of every page, under the tabs, on the right.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

tg1911....

Thanks.. I would have eventually gotten round to that blog tab, but there is so darn much stuff that my head is still on a swivel. :flowers:

CUL .. :thumbsup: GRJ

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, with all the information available on BC, it can be a bit overwhelming, at times. :thumbsup:

#7 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

:trumpet: Sheesh... In the for what it's worth department.. a couple of things.

1. KeyScrambler by QFXSoftware was listed in the freeware replacements list that head this forum category. :thumbsup:
2. Two of the 3 download links on QFX's website do not work properly. And yes, third time was the charm. :inlove:

Now all I need to do is go install it. If you don't hear from me for a while you will know what I am doing. :flowers:

GRJ...

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

That's odd.
I got all 3 links on the site to work.
Server problems at the time you tried, maybe?

#9 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:51 PM

:thumbsup: Possibly... I did get KeyScrambler's set-up incon downloaded from that 3rd site as I said, but when I went to install it I got an error message stating something like 'incomplete file'. I blew it off the machine. Perhaps I will give it another go later.

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

I use KeyScrambler on my XP...love it!

Here is a link to tips and faqs:
http://www.qfxsoftware.com/KeyScrambler/KeyScrambler_FAQ.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Try here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3383/

#12 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

Thanks Jacee and hillbillygreek... :thumbsup: I'll give it another try.

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

I had trouble with the links too.... I just clicked on "run" instead of save and it installed with no problem.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:53 AM

Hey There Everyone... :trumpet:

I followed hillbillygreek's link to the FF Add-on page and downloaded the installer. For what it's worth and for anyone who might wonder, when KS installs it offers to install for IE as well. Just leave the box checked and click install and both IE and FF are vaccinated.

Doesn't appear to be any problem using KS with my current configuration of FF 'stuff'. In fact my FF is starting to look like alphabet soup with all the extensions, tab bar folders, and notification icons. As far as I can determine most of this 'stuff' should come 'standard' with a FF install. Especially NoScript, IE tab, and KeyScrambler. And perhaps the guys and dolls up at Mozilla could extend the KS concept to include every key one hits and not just those on a log in page as qfxsoftware has done with this personal version.

Someone gives me something for free and I complain! Sheesh... Sorry qfx. :flowers:

Thanks to all for their input and assistance. Owe you one.

Later,

GRJ :thumbsup:

#15 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

Hey All.... :flowers:

In the for what it is worth department.... day before yesterday whilst on the Net using 'limited' privliges (trying to be a good boy) instead of 'administrator' privliges KeyScramble decided I need an update and then it decided it couldn't do the update because of the limited account I was running. I told it to do it later. Once off the Net I changed to 'administrator' and fired up FireFox 2.0.0.3 and Keyscramble went to do the update. Since that point in time FF has been acting stupid. When I fire it up FF runs the CPU up to 100% and keeps it there for many loooooooooooooong seconds. Each time I go to open new FF tab.. same thing. FF just bings everything almost to a halt while it is fumbling around doing virtually nothing.

I dumped KeyScrambler. Ran CCleaner. All was cool. Rebooted FF and it was still the same..... thinking...thinking....thinking. So, I dumped FF, cleaned up a bit, and re-installed. Same FF thing persists. IE and Opera are uneffected by all this nonsense. They work fine. Using Opera now.

Today, I fired up Hijackthis and knocked of some line 09 buttons, but otherwise the log looked good (I think). Smile.

Ran several of the free on-line scans and Norton locally.. all good. McAfee Avert Stinger and X-Clean Micro show nothing in the rootkit department. However, SysInternals Root-kit revealer turns up one entry besides the two (SAC and SAI) enteries it always finds. So I tend to think this KeyScrambler progam is the culprit there. Still rooting around in the 1s and 0s hoping to find something amiss. Sheesh!

Bottom line is this... if you are running KeyScrambler and on-line in 'limited' mode and KeyScramble decides it wants to do an update you may get a surprise with FF too.

All the Best.... GRJ :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users