Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rear Jacks On Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 copperzepher

copperzepher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

Ont he back of my computer, I have 6 Audio Jacks. Two of them are In's, so we won't be discussing them (much). The other 4 are as follows, Line Out, Rear Speakers, Side Speakers, Center/Sub. The only one that works is Line Out, I never checked the other ones because I didn't think I would ever need them.

I just got a new Subwoofer today, it's for a Home Theater, but I was able to rig up a compatible cable. I know the cable isn't the problem because I tried it with my MP3 player, and it worked great. But when I plug it into the Center/Sub channel, nothing. Just to make sure, I played a song, and tried plugging my main speakers into the other 3 jacks, with no sound.

Computer Specs:

Custom Built by me.

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz
2 GB RAM
256 MB single SLi Graphics Card (Gigabyte)
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI motherboard
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

Drivers all updated fully (Windows Vista edition drivers if available)

The sound is Realtek AC850 with AC'97 codec.

Now, if I plug the subwoofer into the Line Out, that works too, it's just these other jacks that don't work. I've tried to get them to enable in the software that came with my motherboard, but there is no option for that, I guess it's just supposed to... work, and that's exactly what it's not doing.

Now I said we wouldn't be talking about the "IN" jacks much, so here's that little bit. Int he software, those two I can change to be In's or Out's, and with the subwoofer and regular speakers, neither of those worked when I tried. The Line Out works great.

I've tried to configure my speaker arrangement in Windows (not the program) but that didn't help, and I made sure everything in my BIOS checked out alright, it's just this... it's really bothering me that I bought this sub and now my computer won't let it work. And I've tried a splitter or using the Front jacks (both work) to my sub using just the Line Out, but I lose all my right side speakers when I do that...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

Now, if I plug the subwoofer into the Line Out, that works too, it's just these other jacks that don't work. I've tried to get them to enable in the software that came with my motherboard, but there is no option for that, I guess it's just supposed to... work, and that's exactly what it's not doing

You are probably in two channel audio mode.
In control panel>sound effects manager>speaker configuration tab, you should see the option to enable more channels. As you do it, you will notice the port functions for the sound card change. For 3 output ports, you need to set it to at least 6 channel.
I don't have my vista system in front of me now (xp) but the directions should be close.

Edited by HitSquad, 17 March 2007 - 06:43 AM.

#3 copperzepher

copperzepher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Well I fixed it, but not the way I like it... before I was trying 4, 6, and 8 channel mode in order to activate the other jacks. But I tried putting it into 2 channel (just after posting this) and then my 4 "Top Jacks" (left side on in the menu) were all changeable, but not to like Rear, Center/Sub, Side or any of that, just Microphone, Line In, and Line Out. So I set two of them to Line Out, and voila, those two work.

From what I can tell, my computer doesn't want to output sound to anything NOT labeled Line Out. If it's Center/Sub Out, or Side Out, or Rear Out, it just doesn't want to accept that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users