Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Crashes On Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 s3r4ph

s3r4ph

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

Hrmm i have a strange problem. Whenever i start my computer it loads up fine until 5 minutes in i get a can not read file at memory error. Svchost.exe crashes. At first my computer would then lag and everything would take a significant amount of time to run. I rebooted in safe mode, scanned with spybot, avg, norton anti virus, mcafee stinger, Housecall Anti Virus. I found some adware and removed it. When i rebooted normally the svchost.exe still crashes but now nothing is slowed down. However, my sound card is seen as not connected. Even stranger is that the speakers still work and i get error messages and windows shut down sounds from the speakers but i cant play music or watch video files with sound. Please help! Should i post a Hijack this log?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

What is telling you that svchost.exe is the problem? Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load.

Are you sure of the spelling. If it is scvhost.exe, then this a Trojan.

You can download and use Process Explorer to investigate all processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. This tool will show the process CPU useage, a description, company name and its path (location). If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you can gather additional information.

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. You should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, do this:
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab.
2. Under "Startup and Recovery" click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
3. Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
4. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. See "Extract troubleshooting info from Windows XP BSOD error messages" and How to Find BSOD Error Messages. Also see "Windows XP Error Codes", "Events and Errors Message Center" and "Troubleshooting Windows Stop Messages". If you don't find the error code you have in any of these links, then try doing a Google search of it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users