Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi! I'm (a Nebie) A Little Stressed And Need Some Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vistaacer

vistaacer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:05 PM

I installed driver for a old compactflash card reader, and know, no mode, not even safe mode will let me log in without vista installing the driver, and restarting all over again! I just want to cancel the installation please, and get my computer back to normal- i am slightl technically savvy, and i have no restore points to fall back on. (or any restore cd's- my laptop came with none!) thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

How new is the installation? What is the make and model of the laptop? Is this an upgrade from XP or is it store bought with Vista on it? If it's the second case, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer for a restore DVD - it may be quicker than any other way.

Have you tried putting the installation media (if you have it) into the drive and booting to it? It should prompt you for some options to restore/repair (I haven't done this myself, so my knowledge is sketchy about this).

Normally, one of the first options that you see as a laptop user is the option to create restore disks - in the future this might be a wise move.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 vistaacer

vistaacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

Thanks- I have a pre installed vista laptop. Found out that there was a hidden option to restore to factory settings using a password provided with documentation... I even didn't lose my documents because they were stored on a seperate hard disk on the laptop! Thanks for the advice- youre a saint (i wasn't thinking...).
; )

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

NP - I spent 2 days trying to troubleshoot my laptop's wireless connectivity a while back. Then I found the switch! (after reading the documentation). :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

NP - I spent 2 days trying to troubleshoot my laptop's wireless connectivity a while back. Then I found the switch! (after reading the documentation). :huh:

You read the documentation?

Isn't that a violation of the EULA?

:huh:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it! I only did it as a last resort and promise to never, ever do it again! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users