Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winlogon Stuck In Vault

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nectarN

nectarN

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

............................................................................edit note:New laptop, no windows cd.
I just stuck winlogon into avg's virus vault.

How to boot?

I cannot very well take it out of the vault if I cannot even boot, not even in safe mode.

<>info
windows xp home
no special pack 1
no special pack 2
just windows xp

looks like sp2
version 5.1, build 2600, sp2

i turn on my laptop over there
and it just keeps trying to boot over and over again
'till i power it off.

i tried looking through microsoft online stuff over and over
the computer didn't come with disks i can boot from
to free the winlogon back

it didn't occur to me i wouldn't even have a way to take the thing out of the avg vault
i need at least a rudimentary way to access things
i'm having a very hard time getting a straight answer out of any of microsoft's resources.
<>

I could kick both avg and myself for this.

First of all, I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with my winlogon
that i didn't allow avg to do to it just now
by altering its path and preventing boot.
---let me correct that --I wasn't yet experiencing problems with winlogon
i have less reason to think it was false positive from avg

(let me skip the :flowers: part.)
I'd like to kick avg for even suggesting something like moving winlogon to a virus vault.
They should have given me like ten! warnings on that one.

And I would also like to kick myself for FOLLOWING its suggestion and not taking the time to ponder that winlogon sounds every bit as serious as the warning could possibly imply.

Damn! Updates Updates Updates
I've never seen a better reason to start thinking about getting a Macintosh than all the stupid little updates annoyances.

As far as I can tell, avg (my anti-virus) just asked me to kill the function-path of my windows just because it presumed it would have a particular update. And, idiot that I am, I went ahead and stuck my perfectly fine winlogon into a virus vault.

:trumpet:
Who's dumber, me or avg or microsoft? I'd say the three of us break even, at the moment!

:inlove:
:cool:
help.
:thumbsup:

Edited by nectarN, 17 March 2007 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

After reading your HJT thread may I suggest following the advice given there.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 nectarN

nectarN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Absolutely.

-just trying to get myself not to panic or dig myself deeper in trouble with my lack of patience yesterday.
Right now it's doing a system recovery, which is not a "full" system recovery. Which I don't really understand, but probably won't till I try it.

My comp.
Goes no-win-boot disk.
I see no way to install or run "Recovery Console" first.
Would have me less frozen-in-fear if I could.

edit: nothing important lost. Partial recovery process vie HD partition did not become nightmare in the end. Going forward withit proved harmless to every non-program file on my HP/Compaq.
Running avg more patiently tommorrow. Thanx for helping me hold some of the panic in check for few hours there.

Winlogonexe status no longer preventing boot. :thumbsup:

Edited by nectarN, 17 March 2007 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users