Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Ports

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AhhhLeah

AhhhLeah

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:33 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop with XP. It has 2 printer/digital camera ports on the front which I stuck a new digital camera cord into it to download pics but, unbeknownst to me, it had a plastic piece in it which has now caused both ports to no longer work. Yes, I stuck it in both ports trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. The computer doesn't recognize either the printer or the camera plugged into it.

Unlike my EMachines, I am unable to figure out how to open my modem to see if it is possible for me to replace the port myself. I've installed other hardware a number of times on my EMachine with ease so I can't figure out why I can't even get into the modem.

Do you need a special tool to get into the modem? Is the port replaceable? If not, what are my options?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:00 AM

Hi AhhhLeah.

Forgive me for asking but you're not trying to insert a firewire cable in a usb port are you?
Those two ports on the front are usb ports and should have the "plastic" piece in them. The cable can only go in one way :thumbsup: Reason I ask is that many cameras use a firewire connection. You can post make and model camera if you like. I don't see what the modem has to do with any of this.

Edited by HitSquad, 17 March 2007 - 06:01 AM.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 also, so maybe I could be of some help. I've taken the front panel off my computer before and those usb ports on the front look irreplaceable sorry. If you want to take a look inside your case and those ports, just take the side panel off the computer and there should be (I think two) black tabs, push those and the front cover should come off.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

I strongly suggest that you read the manual that came with the computer!!!

Not only does it contain detailed instructions on how to take the side and front covers off, but it also tells you the precautions to take prior to removing the covers.

Dell Dimension 3000 Systems Service Manual

Before You Begin

Removing the Computer Cover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users