Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vpn - Vnc - Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marc007

Marc007

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi folks

I'm looking for a way of logging into my brothers pc over the internet. I want to be able to view and control his desktop.

I'm able to log into work using VPN to establish a link and VNC to view the desktop. I cant set this up though between other pcs at home. do only special routers allow VPN connections? I'm using a Netopia router.

are there other applications more suitable to what I'm trying to achieve

thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

i use VNC, PC Anywhere, and this sometimes. check it out>>
https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

There are many programs to use to connect to your machin remotely but you will need to make sure that the firewall on the Router and the firewall on the PC are configured to allow these ports to communicate. Each program will communicate on a different defined port number. Just add this exception the firewall you have setup and then you should be OK. Make sure the access route you go down is password protected or some other type of security added as this is a great way people Hack and install viruses remotely.
Posted Image

#4 darkzone

darkzone

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

and lastly very important dont for get to turn on the remote assistance if you are using windows by going into system properties (by rite click My computer and properties) and checking the appropriate boxes under the Remote tab.

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:06 AM

If you are using VNC or PC anywhere or GotomyPC it should not need the remote assistance turned on. This is purely for the Assistance requests sent by XP. In default this is allowed in the windows firewall anyway.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users