Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook = "program Not Responding"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have IE7 and use Outlook 2003. When i open outlook, the page half loads and then stops and accessing Task Manager = not responding etc etc.

I went into safe mode with networking and could log on, download and access new emails.

Furthermore, my web is responding very slowly, with constant error's like "Firefox can't establish a connection...."

I am attaching a screenshot from Firefox's Error Console. ANd also screen shots of software and hardware info that you might need.

Hopefully it will help. I can always run a HJT Log, so let me know.

Many thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Fixed image link for error console .jpg. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 16 March 2007 - 05:10 PM.

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Hi nat, it appears that Firefox have soe problems in loading webpages..

Few questions come to mind :

1) Which version of Java do you have?
2) Did you recently cleaned out Java cache and temp files?

in this postre having some issues with Norton, did you resolve these?

In this post you discussed using adblock and potentially noscript? Are you still using them both?

Do you still have malware issues?

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit ENTER.
A dos Window will appear. Type or copy/paste the following: netsh winsock reset
Hit ENTER.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Edited by fozzie, 16 March 2007 - 05:42 PM.

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

:thumbsup: :trumpet:
Aaaaah Fozzie - my eternal saviour !!! You changed your avatar ??

Ok, so, I no longer have any Norton issues and I am using Adblock.

I only have AVG Antivirus and AVG Antispyware which I pretty much run every day. So far no viruses found and in spyware some tracking cookies.

I don't seem to have any anti malware programs. SWhould I have one and if so which one? Any other anti whatevers do you think I should have?? I also run Ccleaner and AFT cleaner daily.

I have noticed that when i hit the keyboard button for my Mail, and also when i click on it in Start, it seems that 2 Outlooks open . See screenshot. (I have really got into these screenshots!!) I have also included screen shots from Ccleaner of my Installed software, and just for good measure, the Start-up list !!!

Something that may have affected things is that I went into my service provider which is called Mweb.co.za, and under my ADSL options, I wanted to add a dial up connection for back-up. However, once I had completed the process, mweb informed me that I already had a dial up connection. Once the connection was installed, it kept opening up to ask me to connect, although I was already connected via my ADSL. So I then decided to delete the mweb dial-up connection. Do you think that this might be part of the problem??

I Ran cmd as you suggested, and then re-booted, but obviously no change.

As far as Java goes, I really don't know. You will see in my installed stuff that I have:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.

Have no idea what this is, and whether it's javascript or just Java. It seems to be supported by Sun Java or whatever it's called.

You will also note in my installed stuff that there is a long list of Security Updates, Windows Updates, and Windows XP Hotfix's. Do I need all of these and if yes, can I not move them into my D drive or something??

Oh, and one last thing. When i download a program such as anti spyware etc etc, the comp always ask me where to save it and it is always suggested to save in Program Files, or Click to Browse....etc. Is saving in Program Files the correct thing to do??

So, my dear friend, have I given you enough to contemplate !!???? It's 2am for me now, so am heading to snooze land, but I eagerly await your insightful thoughts when I wake tomorrow... If it's 2am in south africa, what time is it with you.

As always, huge thanks for your support. :inlove: :flowers: :cool:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image :)

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

P.S What do you think of my Avatar ??? !!

#5 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hi Kat...Posted Image

I don't seem to have any anti malware programs. SWhould I have one and if so which one? Any other anti whatevers do you think I should have?? I also run Ccleaner and AFT cleaner daily.

I would suggest you download and install the following programs :

1) Ad aware ( viz my sig) run weekly
2) Spybot S & D run weekly
3) Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE
Scan weekly
together with the daily scans you do with AVG and ATF and Ccleaner that will suffice

have noticed that when i hit the keyboard button for my Mail, and also when i click on it in Start, it seems that 2 Outlooks open . See screenshot.

Have you tried to open Outlook via Start Programs and than Outlook? If it than opens up only 1 times
than it has something to do with configuration of your keyboard.

2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.

Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Clear Java Cache
To Clear the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache, do this:

* Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
* Double-click the Java icon.
-The Java Control Panel appears.
* Click "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files.
-The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
* Click "Delete Files".
-The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears.
-There are three options on this window to clear the cache.
o Delete Files
o View Applications
o View Applets
* Click "OK" on Delete Temporary Files window.
-Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
* Click "OK" on Temporary Files Settings window.
* Close the Java Control Panel.

You can also view these instructions along with screenshots here.

It is possible that Microsoft JVM is still present on your computer.Check this as following: Start -- Run and type cmd. In the blac window type jview and ENTER. If Microsft JVM is present you will get version notification. If not present you wil get an error.

Please do the following if Microsoft JVM is present:
Download this tool to remove Microsoft JVM from your PC: MSJVM Removal Tool
Save the file on your desktop doubleklick and allow it to store it into his own folder. Dobleklick unmsjvm.exe en follow these instructions.
Please also download this regfile: RemoveJVM.reg.
Store the regfile onto your desktop doubleklick and allow the changes in your registry.

* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

You will also note in my installed stuff that there is a long list of Security Updates, Windows Updates, and Windows XP Hotfix's. Do I need all of these and if yes, can I not move them into my D drive or something??

Leave them were they are. They are necessary for having your system run smoothly. Meddling with them will do more harm than anything else.

Oh, and one last thing. When i download a program such as anti spyware etc etc, the comp always ask me where to save it and it is always suggested to save in Program Files, or Click to Browse....etc. Is saving in Program Files the correct thing to do??

As a default these programs will look for C:/ProgramFiles/ and than the application name. This is more or less upto you. It will be handy though to have all your programs in 1 place together ( hard disk space permitting ofcourse). If you haven't it is not so bad to do the whole "shamira "all over again.

Aaaaah Fozzie - my eternal saviour !!! You changed your avatar ??

Yes, this was my old avatar which I am using allready for about 4 years now.

P.S What do you think of my Avatar ??? !!

Posted Image In view of the family friendly character I can not add comments but I I like it...

It is now 2.30 here in The Netherlands....

#6 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hi Fozzie

Thanks so much for the details. Have followed your instructions. I have downloaded all that you said and then Ran SuperAntispyware in safe mode and it came up with one threat detected. See log at the bottom.

As far as Outlook goes, you will see from my last post ""(and also when i click on it in Start,)"" that which ever way I open it, the results are the same.

Method 1. Keyboard Button
Method 2. Start / All Programs / Microsoft Office / Mic..Office Outlook

Method 3. Start / Click above the Start button to E-Mail

Whilst trying all of these, I kept the Task Manager open to see what went on. It's not that Outlook opens twice, just that once you click anywhere in the Task Mngr, it list Outlook twice.

But, one thing that I did notice is that ONLY with Method 3, with the Task Mngr open, clicking on E-Mail, in the Task mngr box, for a split second or so, the following appears just before or at the same time as Outlook icon etc appears:

" SysFader ""

The icon for the above is the same icon box that is for End Program.

I ran a few searches on SysFader, and there seems to be quite alot of info. Most ask about sysfader with a .exe but I don't know if I have the exe because it doesn't stay in task mngr / Processes. Somehow, I think that this sysfader is the problem associated with Outlook. But if that is the case, then why can I open Outlook in Safe Mode..???

Web pages appear to be opening faster - perhaps I just had to many running at once.

So, what do you think now ??

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
Generated 03/17/2007 at 06:17 PM

Application Version : 3.6.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 3202
Trace Rules Database Version: 1212

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:09:18

Memory items scanned : 380
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 590
Registry threats detected : 4
File items scanned : 8690
File threats detected : 0

Trojan.Media-Codec
HKCR\VideoAXObject.Chl
HKCR\VideoAXObject.Chl\CLSID
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\explorer\run#user32.dll [ C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\isamntr.exe ]
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\explorer\run#rare [ C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\pmsnrr.exe ]

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

You were late again...:thumbsup:

Info on Video Active X Object..

Please go through this guide.

Info on sysfader if not a virus :

sysfader.exe is a process belonging to the NVidia Graphics device range and is bundled alongside these products. This is a non-critical system process although it should not be terminated unless suspected of causing problems.

Please find below some reading material

Trojan Windshow

Please do not start panicking because it may well be that nothing is wrong. In order to determin what is wrong, after it opens up again twice please go to eventviewer, (START RUN type eventvwr) and look for any entries related to sysfader and post back. It could also well be related to the videox active object

Look forward to hear from you again

#8 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hi Fozzie. What do you mean I was late again ?? !! :thumbsup:

Info on Video Active X Object..

Please go through this guide.
Trojan Windshow

Please do not start panicking because it may well be that nothing is wrong. In order to determin what is wrong, after it opens up again twice please go to eventviewer, (START RUN type eventvwr) and look for any entries related to sysfader and post back. It could also well be related to the videox active object

Your reply as totally confused me!! I don't have Antivermins etc. My system is "clean". ANd what's with the Active X thingy?

I have switched to Thunderbird Email. Fed up with Outlook.

My system is behaving very strangely. Will post back to you in next few mins with details. That's if I can get them. 502 Proxy error looking up address - ? Activity Packet exchange at R :38,000 and S: 43,00 odd.

Pages are not loading etc etc.
Soon .....

#9 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:04 AM

Hi Fozzie. What do you mean I was late again ?? !
Posted Mar 18 2007, 01:09 AM

My system is "clean".

No it is not, sorry to say.

Please use this guide instead. My bad sorry.. Please check the info I posted on Video Actice X

#10 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hi Fozzie - Well, I gotta tell you that I have been a busy bee today.!!

1. Smitfraud - Done -

2. Video Active X - Well, I read all the info you suggested, but still can't see why you think it's an issue for me. I've searched all over, and found no trace. Maybe I'm just missing the point (wouldn't be the first time eh!!??)

3. Office Outlook. Gone. Getting fed up with Microsoft. Am now using Thunderbird, although too soon to judge it yet.

All of my spyware etc is totally up to date. Here is what I did (quite interesting results)

Re-Boot to SAFE MODE ::

1. : Ran HJT and saved the log. But don't fret - that's all I did. Just ran and saved - nothing fix etc !!

2. Updated and ran Ccleaner. The list created under "Issues" was extensive. I fixed them and saved a back-up. What are these "Issues" ???

3. Updated Spybot - checked through all the options and then ran a complete scan. - And guess what - TOTALLY CLEAN !!!! Yiippppeeee

4. Updated Ad-Adware and ran a complete Scan - TOTALLY CLEAN !!!!

5. Ran a 2nd HJT and saved the Log.

Re-Boot to Normal Mode:

Printed off both HJT logs and compared results. Also read the HJT tutorial to try and understand more about it. I have the logs if you think that they might be relevant. There are a few entris under 04, ,016, 020, 021 and 023. The results varied from the first HJT and the second.

Seeing as no matter where I post my topics, you are the one that answers, I want to ask if I can address some other questions to you that vary and don't fit into one specific forum.

Hope to hear from you later.
You know, you had better be careful, you are on the verge of becoming my personal tech geek !!!!

Later Fozzie....

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Sorry nat I missed this one...

2. Video Active X - Well, I read all the info you suggested, but still can't see why you think it's an issue for me. I've searched all over, and found no trace. Maybe I'm just missing the point (wouldn't be the first time eh!!??)

this because of the below entry.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\explorer\run#user32.dll [ C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\isamntr.exe ]

info on isamntr.exe You xied this allready

Updated and ran Ccleaner. The list created under "Issues" was extensive. I fixed them and saved a back-up. What are these "Issues" ???

THEse are invalid registry entries which are fixed by Ccleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users