I don't seem to have any anti malware programs. SWhould I have one and if so which one? Any other anti whatevers do you think I should have?? I also run Ccleaner and AFT cleaner daily.
I would suggest you download and install the following programs :
1) Ad aware ( viz my sig) run weekly
2) Spybot S & D run weekly
3) Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE
together with the daily scans you do with AVG and ATF and Ccleaner that will suffice
have noticed that when i hit the keyboard button for my Mail, and also when i click on it in Start, it seems that 2 Outlooks open . See screenshot.
Have you tried to open Outlook via Start Programs and than Outlook? If it than opens up only 1 times
than it has something to do with configuration of your keyboard.
2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.
Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Clear Java Cache
To Clear the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache, do this:
* Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
* Double-click the Java icon.
-The Java Control Panel appears.
* Click "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files.
-The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
* Click "Delete Files".
-The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears.
-There are three options on this window to clear the cache.
o Delete Files
o View Applications
o View Applets
* Click "OK" on Delete Temporary Files window.
-Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
* Click "OK" on Temporary Files Settings window.
* Close the Java Control Panel.
You can also view these instructions along with screenshots here.
It is possible that Microsoft JVM is still present on your computer.Check this as following: Start -- Run and type cmd. In the blac window type jview and ENTER. If Microsft JVM is present you will get version notification. If not present you wil get an error.
Please do the following if Microsoft JVM is present:
Download this tool to remove Microsoft JVM from your PC: MSJVM Removal Tool
Save the file on your desktop doubleklick and allow it to store it into his own folder. Dobleklick unmsjvm.exe en follow these instructions.
Please also download this regfile: RemoveJVM.reg.
Store the regfile onto your desktop doubleklick and allow the changes in your registry.
* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
You will also note in my installed stuff that there is a long list of Security Updates, Windows Updates, and Windows XP Hotfix's. Do I need all of these and if yes, can I not move them into my D drive or something??
Leave them were they are. They are necessary for having your system run smoothly. Meddling with them will do more harm than anything else.
Oh, and one last thing. When i download a program such as anti spyware etc etc, the comp always ask me where to save it and it is always suggested to save in Program Files, or Click to Browse....etc. Is saving in Program Files the correct thing to do??
As a default these programs will look for C:/ProgramFiles/ and than the application name. This is more or less upto you. It will be handy though to have all your programs in 1 place together ( hard disk space permitting ofcourse). If you haven't it is not so bad to do the whole "shamira "all over again.
Aaaaah Fozzie - my eternal saviour !!! You changed your avatar ??
Yes, this was my old avatar which I am using allready for about 4 years now.
P.S What do you think of my Avatar ??? !!
In view of the family friendly character I can not add comments but I I like it...
It is now 2.30 here in The Netherlands....