Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 3100 Laptop Not Willing To Play Games. =\

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GnomeScoutCookie

GnomeScoutCookie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hello there,

A few months ago I got an Acer Aspire 3100 laptop for my birthday. I was excited to finally be able to play my favrote types of MMORPG's (Rubies of Eventide, World of Warcraft, and The Sims 2 Pets mostly), anyway, my laptop would load the game and I could play for LESS then half an hour before crashing. I was not shocked at first, I knew I didn't have enough RAM so I got some more, I now have 896 MB of RAM and things still will not run.

I have closed things that run in the background, I have stopped using X-Fire (a program that counts how long you've played games, very handy on fourms), and I still crash. I then thought it was my internet, I switched from a LAN cable to wireless internet. No change. I for a fact know it's not the internet, I have a main computer that I share the internet with and everything runs fine there.

I have been using my main computer lately but my mother and younger brother are quiet annoied that I have to use both computers while they fight over the tele. I am about a few weeks away from copying all my photos to a CD and giving my laptop back to my mother and buying a better one, which'll take anywhere from months to a year to get enough money (*Cough* Yeah, I'm not exactly the richest soul out there).

I've also been having problems with FireFox that every time I restart my computer all my bookmarks just dissapear. I can get them back of course, it's just VERY annoying. >.>

-GnomeScoutCookie :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

What precisely happens when you "crash," and do you get any sort of error messages? Have you checked to see that you have updated both your audio and video drivers? How much video memory does your card have? Does the crashing only happen when you are playing on-line games, or does it sometimes happen when playing other games?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 chriscool9

chriscool9

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hey there.
I have the Acer Aspire 3000 and I cant play games on mine (which doesn't bother me because I don't play much). I know that the cause of my crashes are due to overheating. When my laptop crashes I get lines down the screen in the colors that where on the screen at that time. So for example if I were looking at a blue sky the lines would be blue.
However it could be your graphics card that isn't up to it, as i know the Aspire 3000 Series don't have very good graphics cards at all. Mainly because they're only designed for general home use, not gaming.
Hope this helps

Chris

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hey GnomeScoutCookie :thumbsup:

We really need your answers to jgweed's questions.

If you are having a problem with the notebook after running it for awhile, your problem could be heat related. Based on the specs of your Acer - h e r e - it should be able to run many of the modern games at least at some level of graphics. Usually a notebook's manual discusses some things you can do to keep it cool - leave room under or on the sides of it for air flow, etc. You might want to check that as a simple "fix" for your problem, otherwise, I think we'll need more information to help you.

The Firefox problem may be totally unrelated, although an overheating situation can cause many "Gremlin-like" problems.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users