Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AHH HELP!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 cutiedez

cutiedez

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:26 PM

i don't know too much about computers, but all i know is that there is something wrong with mine right now and idont know what to do... here's whats' happening
-all my programs don't have their usual icons, they are now displaying the "windows icon with a paper behind" the one that usually is displayed when there isn't a program available to run it.
-if i click on a program it says "The Object that 'C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\ <whatever the program i'm trying to open is> .lnk' refers to has been removed or is unaccessible." and it also had a yellow triangle with an exclimation mark
- i was trying to down load a program before and my antivirus program (avast) told me that one or moreof the files were corrupted or contained the Trojan virus. i then moved it to the "chest"
i am running an IBM thinkpad on windows 98
if you need anymore information, im going to be watching this post like a hawk..
please help me
and thanks for your help in advance
-dez
if i dont respond right away, you could email me, at cutiedez"at"hot....
i dont know what to do and i dont wanna do anything that will wreck it, i JUST got my computer back from crashing less then a month ago.

Edited by cutiedez, 08 January 2005 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:30 PM

First thing, you should express your email with "at" instead of the exact address.
This is because of technology that web crawlers use.
Your email might get spam if you leave it that way.
You can use the edit feature. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

thanks! but is there anything else that you can do?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:58 PM

Can you look in the "chest" and tell us what is in there? What program were you trying to download?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

the program was freewire, however i cannot even get into the anti virus program same with the chest, the only things that i can use are the files that were already open, i can't even open another explorer window.... i just lucked out that i had one open.. :S

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:09 PM

Can you open Windows Explorer? If you can go to C:\Program Files\Avast and the chest will be there.

Don't reboot until we know what this is.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:12 PM

Lets see if I got this straight. You were using Freewire to download an anti-virus program and when you clicked on that the problem started. Yes? No?

#8 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

no, not totally, freewire was the program that i was trying to download
i was just downloading a program off of www.download.com and then as it was loading, "avast" notified me that there could be a possible Trojan virus and i placed it into the chest.. well maybe that is what you just said :S... sorry...i guess that is what happened, and then when it was done loading it opened the folder that it loaded into and thoes files werent working and then neither were any of my other ones... yes, that is exactly what happened, sorry i didn't reply for a while i went to eat :thumbsup: ..anyways, nothing has changed nor imporved..
if you need anymore information i will try my hardest to tell you what you need, but seeing how i really dont know a WHOLE lot about computers, i'm not complely in the dark,...
thanks though..hopefully we can figure this out :S
-dez

p.s. and when i try doing "C:\Program Files\Avast " in the intenet explorer it says that the page cannot be found :S

Edited by cutiedez, 08 January 2005 - 07:33 PM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and send back a list of what is in there. Press cancel to close that box. Don't worry about the Bleeping Computer part.

What program were you trying to download exactly?

Edited by Leurgy, 08 January 2005 - 07:36 PM.

#10 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

microsoft internet explorer
kpf4qui (firewal)
systray
irxfer
irmon
ahmaisv (anti virus)

oh and before there was lexplorer, and i end tasked it, but that was like 4 hours ago

#11 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:39 PM

it was a music downloading program called freeWire .. i dont really know too much about it...
and i got it off www.download.com

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

kpf4qui (firewal)?

What makes you say thats the firewall?

#13 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:44 PM

because before , like days ago, when i did end task that program it would close my fire wall, the fire wall that i'm using is kiero personal firewall 4

#14 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

is there anyway that you can hack into my computer and see whats going on? or could i get a program or something? i'd be totally okay with that
if you promis not ot make it worse ;)

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:54 PM

Not going to hack.

You say that your icons have changed and don't work. If you right click on one and choose properties what does it say in the Target Box? Can you get into windows explorer and then to the chest like I asked earlier?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users