Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I"m Stumped!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 i82much

i82much

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hello All
I'm working on a Intel se440bx mobo with 3 78mb of ram running win 98se
I'm having some trouble with this thing so I did the following
replaced the battery,and removed everything but the cpu, got some beeps
inserted the memory and they were detected
Plugged in the hard drive and it was detected.
I even reseated the cpu
The thing is almost clean enough to eat off it
Now when I go to boot up post finds the mobo and processor, finds the memory (383mb), finds the keyboard and mouse, finds the hard drive and the cdrom. and stops right there
It wont go any farther than that no matter what I do
I've tried booting of a floppy, hell I even tried flashing the bios
The floopy drive spins during the post but that is all
WhenI try to get into the bio to chage the boot order (thinking cd) it just hangs at "entering setup"
This computer has a twin (same everything) that has the same kinda problem but lives miles away
Any suggestions?
Thanks Mel :thumbsup:

Edited by i82much, 16 March 2007 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

Which operating system you have?

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:28 AM

Try removing the CD drive and the floppy drive (just unplug them, no need to physically remove them from the case), and remove the power cables from them too. Reboot and see what happens.

Basically, have it down to bare bones to see if it's a certain piece of hardware. If you unplug the cd drive, and it boots, then you know it's either the cable or the drive. Same with the floppy. Have just the cpu, cpu cooling fan, and hdd plugged in and try to boot. Leave the side of the case open for cooling (as you'll have no case fans plugged in). Also, pull one stick of ram. If it fails to boot, swap out the ram sticks (install the single piece in the left most slot).

Let us know how this works, and we'll go from there :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

I'm just curious i82much -

Did it ever work with that configuration?

Did it's "twin" miles away ever work with that configuration?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 i82much

i82much
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply
I'm running win98se and the "twin" is running win me
I have unplugged everything, just leaving the pwr supply and processor and got the beeps, installed the memory (every way possible) but never got the message of "os not found". but when it goes thru post with eveything connected it finds everything,but goes no farther
These puters worked great, but the funny thing is that they died within a week of each other
I'm wondering if there is some kinda info in a chip that tells it to die at a certain time?

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

No chip in them that makes them die....they use that chip in your car, better known as the Service Engine Soon light....cost's you $80 to have it turned off and then be told to tighten your gas cap better :thumbsup:

Can you try a different hard drive? I'm wondering if your hard drive has failed.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users