Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FisticufsFred22

FisticufsFred22

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hi everyone.

So the other day I went to restart my computer and I got the message

"Windows cannot start (or something to that effect) <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt"

I then just tried to restart the computer thinking it was a freak thing....and it booted fine.

Today I came in my room to see that my computer had shut down and restarted to what I think was the windows update. But there again was the screen yelling at me saying that my hal.dll was missing or corrupt. I then restarted the computer and went into the BIOS menu and found something unusual. In the drive menu (the one that lists Primary Master/Slave and Secondary Master/Slave drives), only my two secondary drives were showing up. This was unusual because I have a third drive in the Primary Master that wasn't appearing. I went into the options for that slot, looked, then exited and whalla. The drive the appeared. I exited BIOS and windows started fine.

This is kinda scaring me that my HDD is failing, as it's not more than 3 months old. Anyone have a clue?

(P.S. I ran several online virus/malware checks and deleted anything that came up. So....i don't know what else to do.)

(P.P.S Does anyone know of any good backup freeware?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

Read this page:

Windows XP Setup - Missing HAL.DLL
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

I was working on a computer this past week with the same problem. If you have your Windows disc, put it in, and that should fix the problem. If you don't have it, there is a web site (I forget right now) where you can download that file. Just do a search for HAL.DLL download

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:48 AM

At your service

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

fozzie,

You have an immaculate service, I must say. You're there, and you're always on time too. :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you're part of the BleepingComputer community.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to it ....Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users