Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update - What Just Happened?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

I have my automatic updates set to the "notify me but don't install until I say so" option. There was some traffic and the little shield appeared on the bar on the bottom right of the screen, there was some more traffic and the little shield disappeared. I looked at the setting in Control Panel and it still says to notify only - normally it looks, gives the shield, I click on that and there's a list, I say what to download. I checked the processes and I had wuauclt.exe running in SYSTEM and also my username. Can anybody explain what happened? Is Microsoft downloading things that I don't know about?
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

I had the same thing just now, the little yellow shield came on , and showed it was downloading , it got to 40% , and then the shield just disappeared , i checked but could not see any new updates....?

any one know what that was all about....?

Thanks

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

hmmm.... try doing an antispyware/antivirus scan and get back to me with the findings. Spyware maybe keeping both of you from doing Windows Updates.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 mawood1231

mawood1231

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

Look on the button where your turn off your computer, the one with standby and restart. Mine has a shield on the turn off icon, because there is an update on it. Then when you close down your computer it will be installed. I have one on mine right now.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Go to Windows Update and Review Your Update History.
That way you will know if the update d/l was successful.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

Update for Windows XP (KB929338)
Typical download size: 725 KB , less than 1 minute
This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the stability of computers running Windows XP. This update prevents some Stop 0x1a or Stop 0x0a errors. After you install this item, you will have to restart your computer.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2007 (KB890830)

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

hmmm.... try doing an antispyware/antivirus scan and get back to me with the findings. Spyware maybe keeping both of you from doing Windows Updates.

My scans are clear. My issue isn't that I can't do updates, my issue is that it's downloaded something without notifying (and asking) me, in accordance with my settings. It has definitely downloaded - the "how do you want to install" shield is there... The update history only seems to show the updates installed, but not those downloaded but not yet installed. I've emailed Microsoft to ask what it is they've downloaded.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users