Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace New Local Settings With Old One

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

I'm never putting my computer on Stand-By mode ever again. After doing that accidentally for a second when I meant to shut it down, it screwed up my 'puter something fierce. I had this problem a few weeks ago and chalked it up to my mobo overheating (however unlikely THAT is).

Anyway, to the point. I only reinstalled the XP windows directory but left my HD untouched. So I still got all my data, programs, etc., without having to reinstall everything over the next couple of days. Now, the problem is that I need to replace the newly created Local Settings with my old one from before, which should restore my computer to the way I had it before it went haywire, right? So, do I simply delete the new folders and leave only my old one and the computer will automatically recognize it as the default settings? Or is there some kind of procedure I must undertake to do this?

A little note...does anyone know of any major bug issue with eVGA 680i motherboard when it goes into Stand By mode? Or even Western Digital Caviar HD? Somebody should report this, it's a massive bug.

*EDIT*
Looking in my Document and Settings folder, it looks like I have a duplicate of each folder in there (All Users, the hidden Default User, and my personal settings folder).
Basically, I just want the computer to refer to my old settings as the default (that would be without the .WINDOWS that appears at the end of each duplicated folder name that is now treated as the default). Then I want to get rid of the new folders. Please don't tell me I'm S.O.L., it would ruin an already bad day for me.

*ANOTHER EDIT*
Just realized a potential solution. Could I just simply copy the data in my old folders to the new ones? Could it be that easy? Or would that essentially cause Armageddeon on my computer?

Edited by Venek, 15 March 2007 - 07:34 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well, copying the files was a mistake. Now my computer won't run some programs due to "insufficient RAM." Dammit. And I just got my new blank DVDs in the mail today that I was going to back-up my computer with Acronis.

Figures, huh?

Is there still a way to delete the new folders though and revert to the old ones? I remain hopeful.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

Would turning to a previous restore point help?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

It seems that there's a problem with the "repair" installation that you've done. I suspect that you've done a parallel installation rather than a repair of Windows (this would explain the duplicates).

If this is the case, then fixing it is going to take a long time (longer than it would take to reinstall the programs and reset your settings). And it may turn out to be unfixable. Just copying stuff around won't help, and it may actually harm your system.

I'd suggest that you backup all your important stuff, format the hard drive, and start over again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

Oh, I already did that ages ago. It's kinda funny, though, because I had to reinstall XP again yesterday because of a chain reaction stemming from a ZoneAlarm update. Of course, I wouldn't have had to do that if I thought to do a System Restore to before I installed the update in the first place, but I was too much of an idiot to think of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users