Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Superantispyware Or Reinstall It.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TRISTEN

TRISTEN

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

Cant uninstall or reinstall SUPERantispyware. Comes up with error message.

ERROR 1402 could not open key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SUPERANITSPYWARE.COM\SUPERANTISPYWARE

Verify that you have sufficent access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

Do you have administrative privileges? Have you recently upgraded Windows? Is this the only program that is giving you a problem? Have you tried uninstalling in safe mode?

Here is one solution:

The error indicates that you do not have sufficient permissions to update the system registry. Even if you are logged in as a system administrator, you may encounter this error if the system has been upgraded from a previous version of Windows.

The action below requires updating the system registry. It is strongly recommended that you completely back-up your computer before taking this action.

Windows XP

1. Select "Start", "Run", and type "RegEdt32". Click OK.
2. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. In the menu, select "Edit", "Permissions". A dialog will come up.
4. Check "Allow" for "Read" and for "Full Control", then click OK
5. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat steps 3, 4 for the keys "Software" and "System"
6. Expand the "Software" key, and repeat steps 3, 4 for "Classes"
7. Expand the "Classes" key, and repeat steps 3, 4 for "Installer"
8. If you have made any changes in steps 1 through 7, skip to step 10. If you did not make any changes, continue with step 9.
9. Open the "Classes" key, and click on "Installer" . In the menu, click "Security", "Permissions." Click the button marked "Advanced." Check "Reset Permissions on all child objects.", then click OK
10. Close the registry editor
11. Reboot the computer
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

buddy215 Thank You for your response.

I have windows ME so i dont have a Permissions option under my edit menu.....?

I dont kno what an administrator is but ima look that one up.

So now what should i do.

Thanks Everyone.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

OK, give this fix a try:

Windows Me

Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Information.
Click Tools and then click Registry Checker.
The following error message may display: Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart the computer and repair the system registry for you.
If the error message displays, click OK to restart the computer.
If the error message does not display, close all open programs and click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type Scanreg /fix and then click OK. When the Registry Checker is finished, restart the computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hi thanks again for your response.

I went to system tools ect. and i dont seem to be able to find that registry checker option.

Also i typed Scanreg /fix into run both now and in safe mode and a black box thing flashed up and closed like it didnt work right.

Not sure what happen.

Thank You

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

Here is the link from windows to repair the registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302853

Is Super Antispyware causing a problem? You can just stop it from loading at startup.

Do you have a registry backup like From Erunt or another source?

#7 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for that link im going to read it right now.

Im not sure if i have a backup thing i have this thing called ccleaner and it has a registry section but i have yet to learn to use it??

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

Ccleaner's "Issues" button is for registry cleaning. That you don't need.

#9 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Ohkay then im glad i dont use it.

#10 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

tristen,
i was unable to find an uninstall tool, as well. if real-time protection is bothering you, right-click the icon, click "control center", uncheck the box that says "real-time protection". that's how i have it on my system. i just use it to scan with.

#11 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

ejames82 thank you for your suggestion i did actually learn to disable it that way.

But i need to reinstall or uninstall superantispyware and i cant.

Mucho gracias tho for help.

#12 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

Hmm i did go to microsofts website but i do not have that registry button listed under my tools i have

WMI control
System Restore
Fault Log
Network Diagnostics
Update wizard Uninstall
Signature verification Tool
Automatic Skip Driver Agent
Dr Watson
System Configuration tool
ScanDick

but I Dont have registry checker..... Hmm wierd

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Here is an explanation for the missing "system file checker".

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/1904p186id41022.htm

On the other hand, the Windows Me upgrade installation does remove System File Checker. This handy Windows 98 program scans your hard drive looking for important system files that have been altered and offers to restore the original version. This is valuable because installation programs often replace these system files with old, incompatible, or altered versions.

If you have Windows 98, it's wise to run System File Checker after you install an application. To launch it, select Start, Run, type sfc, and press Enter.

Windows Me replaces System File Checker with System File Protection. You cannot launch System File Protection; it always runs in the background. This makes the utility more reliable than System File Checker, since it can catch a program in the act of alteration. On the other hand, System File Protection likely contributes to Me's slower performance, and you can't turn the program off.

#14 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

Thank you that did explain what happen to that option very well.

Im not sure exactly what i should do now. How i should fix that registry key

using tha options i do have?

Thank you very very very much

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

Well, how much of a problem is this? Other than just being on your comp and taking up space. Have you tried to uninstall other programs to see if the problem is universal or just the one program? Are there ANY symptoms of a problem?
There is always manual uninstall. Could be a pain. Could be simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users