Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying The Right Ram

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daniel brown

daniel brown

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

My spare computer is an old dell 8200. I want to upgrade the ram. I've been on ebay and I think I've found what I need but I'm not sure. How do I tell exactly which ram to buy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Crucial will tell you the options for your computer. They will even scan your computer or you can submit the computer name etc. and they will do the rest.
http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/...;memtype=CHOOSE
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

Use this free utility and it will tell you what RAM you use which would tell you what RAM to buy. :thumbsup:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 15 March 2007 - 05:09 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

Get the serial/model number of your mainboard (motherboard) so you can research the maximum amount of RAM the machine can handle. I had the sales rep at Office Depot look it up for me after I had the model number. It's going to be a Pentium or a Celeron or whatever... Go to start - programs - control panel - system. "General" tab will give you the processor name and amt of RAM. (write that down). Then go to either "device manager" , and find "System board" or or "hardware" then "device manager" and "processor" depending on your o/s. Right click or select properties.

Wait, that doesn't get the details, only driver info. Sorry. I had the box from mine, it was a home built machine and the guy gave me all the boxes and packrat that i am, kept them all. I have some utilities on my machines that give that sort of hardware detail. (I have to count on someone to help us here)

You are going to have a limited number of RAM slots, plus a maximum amount of RAM. SO buy the largest stick (at the correct speed) and put it in the FIRST slot. (Looking down at the machine, the RAM sticks are lined up, they will look like what you have. If the old RAM stick is megs than the new one, remove it carefully - you have to slide the fasteners away from each end first), and put it in the slot behind it. Carefully fit it into the slot until the fasteners slide over the corners and then you will know it is well-seated. Make sure you touch the ram stick to a metal part of the casing to remove the static before you insert the ram. Ram is pretty much plug and play once you know the specs.

I would NOT buy RAM from ebay. It's too easy to break it (like by shorting it out). That is the one thing I would buy new. (on sale of course). They're supposedly not making PC100 (that is a speed) anymoreyou might find it at a PC repair place, used.

Rather than ebay, I'd take it to a PC shop and get a used stick and make them install and boot the machine and see if it recognizes the new total RAM. Shipping costs are a rip-off, and I have had my share of bad luck with more than one seller there... and ebay/paypal always sides with the seller.

Sorry I can't be more help on finding the serial number and speed. Do you know that already? If so, I think you're home free but I do not mind being corrected. So fellow bleepers, please post whatever's needed.

So, you have to know the speed, the max your machine can hold, how many slots you have, and do arithmetic to figure how much you should buy. It comes in sets of 128: next size is 216 then 512 and up. In the old days, I was told you had to have the same size stick in each slot or the machine wouldn't recognize. I found that to be not true in my Pentium 3 that has 3 slots but can only hold 728 megs max. Putting the largest stick in first is the trick: also, the smaller the size the cheaper they usually are. So get the max your machine will hold, at the correct speed (eg PC 100) given the number of slots you have. Sorry I was so wordy this probably could have been a short answer.

Best wishes
"joygreen"
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

theres a old program called everest, i believe. check the forums or google it.

#6 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution.

www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

Just to add ..buy only Quality RAM with lifetime guarantee. It would be a shame to invest in a critical portion of the PC and install parts that provide substandard performance or fail quickly.
BC has an excellent Tutorial perhaps more than you need to know about RAM HERE
You may be inerested in the section "How to Upgrade your RAM"
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

ComputerMan23, check this link HERE. It's right on the Bleepingcomputer forums, and is a list of freeware programs, which includes everest. I'm sure you'll find it useful when posting, as you'll be able to link directly to it!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users