Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Audio Problem With A Vaio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

Hi all, I have a friend that has a Sony Vaio VGN-FS980 notebook that makes noises which from her description sounds like static, she says it sounds like scrapping and crunching. :thumbsup: She says that if she runs the recovery disc it will stop for about a month and then it's back.

My first thought was a bad connection in the 2.1 system that she is using, but then she says that is disappears after using the disc. My second thought was that she would need a driver update, but I couldn't find anything for this model at the Sony site.

Anyone have any suggestions, I had toyed with the idea of launching it with a trebuchet.

I realized that I should add that this friend is not in the same part of the country, so I haven't had the opportunity to witness this first hand.

Edited by dc3, 15 March 2007 - 10:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

If it's doing it inconsitantly, then I'd say to try a different set of speakers. If she's running off the AC cord every now and again, I'd suggest that she ensures that the audio cords are as far away from the AC cord as possible as it will cause interference.

Something else to keep in mind is that she might also have a bad input jack on the computer itself, and see if gently wiggling it and/or holding it in different positions will help it (like hold it up, to the side, or at an angle).

I'd be more apt to say that this sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software issue IMHO. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, and let us know either way! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hi Steve, thanks for the response
Having been active in the audio industry my first thought was pretty much the same thing. But then she said that if she ran the recovery disc it would go away, that negated that prospect. Knowing that sony as late has not enjoyed the greatest reputation for their firmware and drivers I had hoped that this may be the problem. But I can't find any new drivers for the audio on that computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

Is it onboard audio? If so, you can try using generic audio drivers (something like realtek ac 97 audio or something similar). Not sure if this would help, but if it does, then you know that it is the drivers.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users