Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates Turned It's Self On. I Don't Want The Updates.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Inno

Josh Inno

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

I've reinstalled my OS 3 times this week. The first time there was an Error in the install. The second time I accidentally downloaded some updates that I specifically did not want, and they could not be uninstalled, so had to go back and do it again.

This third time, everything was working fine until Automatic Updates suddenly turned it's self on without my being asked, or even notified. This was around when I installed the Google pack.

Then, loe and behold, windows Automatic Update declared that it had finished downloading and installing updates, and that if I wanted the instalation finished, all I had to do was reboot.

"Crap" I thought, "I don't want to reinstall my OS a 4th time!"

So here I am, looking for some help in keeping those updates from finishing.

Such updates include:
Windows Messenger security update (I don't want windows messenger, and uninstall it and use tools to wipe it from the face of my computer, so why would I want this?)
Windows Genuine Advantage tool (All it is is yet another piece of windows Malware that continually uses up precious system resources)

There was another one or two, but I can't check the list of things I don't want to install or update as all the automatic update tool and windows update will let me check is if I've rebooted or not.

Can anyone help me avoid yet another OS install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

My sincere apologies. I'm running a copy of windows XP home that had service pack 1 included on the disk. I already upgraded to service pack 2.

#3 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

My sincere apologies. I'm running a copy of windows XP home that had service pack 1 included on the disk. I already upgraded to service pack 2.

Right Click on My Computer and select "Properties" then click on the Automatic Updates tab and pick your poison.

#4 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

I did that before and it was set to update by something else. I just went over and told it just to notify me, again, but it's still saying I have some updates waiting for me to reboot, so that it can install them. I don't want these updates. How do I get rid of the ones it's already downloaded and 'installed' before the instillation is finished?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

Why is you fear those updates? I have every WinXP update, except IE7 and WMP 11, installed and there are no issues.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

I agree with The Terrorist 75. They make your Windows OS more secure and stable. I don't think Microsoft would make Malware and distrube it all over the world :thumbsup: . And the Genuine Advantage tool helps us that PAID for windows receive all the updates and get IE7 and WMP11 for example.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx#ID0ELFAC have a look at this, it will explain more about the genuine advantage tool and genuine software.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#7 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

The big one is the windows Genuine Advantage, which has no purposes other than letting Microsoft play big brother and look over my shoulder using -my- computer's resources. It's something that constantly runs in the background, slowing down one's system.

#8 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

No it doesn't slow your system down at all. Microsoft play big brother soon as you install windows on your system. So there is no need to make a big deal over the tool because it is there for a reason and it's NOT to play big brother.

#9 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

And I installed IE7 and WMP11 just fine without windows genuine BS.

I purchased this laptop with windows on it, and that was a part of the cost of the system, so yes, because I have an OEM copy of windows that came with my system, I paid for it.

#10 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

If it doesn't run in the background, then why is there a system tray icon?

And it's only purpose is to spy and make sure I don't have any hacks or cracks.

That's a legitimate concern, but I don't want the "update".

And with all due respect, this thread's topic is how to avoid getting the software installed. Not about how to convince me I need it after all.

#11 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

To be specific, I am talking about "Genuine advantage notifications" which is an opt in, non-required program, which runs in the background. Not the validation tool run only through the website only when I attempt to download an update.

this "opt in" is automatic for anyone who has automatic updates enabled. This is why I specifically disabled it. Something I installed automatically re-enabled it at some point, causing this piece of spyware (Which counts as malware as it uses system resources) was then downloaded and partially installed onto my computer. Once it is installed, I have no idea how to uninstall it. I don't want it, never did, never willingly opted in.

If I have to, I will reinstall my OS to get rid of it, but I'd prefer not too. It is not a "Good thing" and I will not have it on my computer if I can avoid it.

Edited by Josh Inno, 15 March 2007 - 02:53 PM.

#12 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

There shouldn't be an icon on the system tray at all, if there is that means your system is not genuine (Windows Genuine Advantage Tool). But if you don't want to install any update then just turn windows update off, that is the best way if that is what you want.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 15 March 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#13 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

It. Is. Genuine. The icon was there to tell me that SP2 wasn't installed. If it can detect that, it means it isn't just a one time run detection thing.

I did turn it off. something turned it back on. I turned the updates off again, but the comp still says I have to reboot so it can finish installing updates that I don't want, never wanted, and never consented too.

#14 Josh Inno

Josh Inno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:01 PM

I am 2 steps away from converting to linux. This is quickly becoming the straw that broke the camel's back.

#15 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

OK Josh, lets change the registry a bit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892894 there you go and Microsoft tells you how to do it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users