Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2003

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

I have searched everywhere for an answer to this. I have a user who works with Excel 2003 daily. Whenever she opens a spreadsheet and makes a large number of changes then tries to save those changes Excel closes and creates a file with a string of numbers fo the filename in the same folder where the original spreadsheet resides. The original sheet is still there but the changes are not saved. I have tried opening the file that Excel created by using excel and the new file doesn't open. THis is only happening to this particular user. I have run the detect and repair tool, uninstalled Excel and reinstalled, uninstaalled the entire Office 2003 suite and reinstalled, edited the registry to make sure that there ar eno references to the old install of Excel before reinstalling and I have completely re-imaged the PC on which the problem occurs. All of these solutions fixed the problem temporarily but after 2 or 3 days it would start happening again. Could this be a hardware issue (failing hard drive)?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I am reachin gthe end of my rope. :thumbsup:
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

Hi Baloo.
Is the file being saved on a network drive?
If so, does it occur using the "Save As" function, saving it to the local drive?

#3 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

No this is being saved to the local machine and it doesn't occur when using the Save As function.

Edited by Baloo, 15 March 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

This is truly strange.
It sounds as if the file is corrupt or there's third party software interferring.

I have tried opening the file that Excel created by using excel and the new file doesn't open

Via Excel, click File>Open. Left click that file (the one you can't open). Next to the Open button you will see a drop-down arrow. Select "Open as Copy". If it still wont open, choose "Open and Repair". Let me know what gives.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 March 2007 - 12:07 PM.

#5 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

Sorry it took a while to get back to this but I have tried all that and the problem is still happening. I am inclined to think that if I replace the HDD and re-image the machine then the problem will go away. What do you think?

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

Sorry to step in here. Re-imagining will bring back the whole situation again.
Can you open it as a txt file?

#7 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

No it won't open as a text file either. I now have a second machine that is exhibiting the same behaviour so it can't be hardware related.

#8 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:41 AM

Ok I have some more information on this problem. I have been told by the users that they can make one save on the spreadsheet but anymore after that causes the app to close and the unopenable file to be created. THe file that gets created has a random string of unrelated numbers and letters for a filename but no extension that I can find (I have tried showing file extensions and it says the file is a windows file other than that nothing). The only third party that is on these machines is McAfee Anti-Virus corporate that is patched up to patch 13. I have tried stopping the services on the machines (suggestion from another forum) and the problem still exists. I have also applied the updates from Microsoft for Excel and Office 2003. I am running out of ideas. :thumbsup:

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

It's strange, indeed :thumbsup:

Check "original" file properties. Perhaps it's read-only.
Might it have something to do with workbook protection?
What is the exact message you're getting, if any.
Can you list several of those filenames with numbers on them, perhaps we'll see a pattern - most likely they're temporary files with encoded date tacked onto the filename.

There are several methods proposed here including attempts to open using Word, etc.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346561033.aspx

One thing I would try is this.
First preserve what you have, perhaps under some other filename.
Then delete c:\Temp, and c:\Windows\temp directories. If the computer fights you on deleting (because some files are open) don't fight it, just go on, delete what you can.
Clean the recycle bin.
REBOOT.

Edited by tos226, 06 April 2007 - 08:37 AM.

#10 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

Hi all

Thanks for your help with this problem so far. I am still having the same issue though. I have tried all the suggeations in this thread already and nothing works. It seems to be happening to random users with random spreadsheets. Does anyone know of any bugs in Excel that could be causing this? M$ help and support is no help at all as I'm sure most of you already know.

tos

I tried the link in your post yesterday and no dice thanks for the input though. :thumbsup:

#11 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:29 AM

I have had this exact same issue. Although my situation was over a network. what I noticed was that one of the sheets had corupt data in and by the look at the sheets all looked fine. Looked at the file size and it was 2.5mb. I know this does not seem that big but for the data that was in it this is huge. I found the sheet that caused the problem by simply see that the slide bar was really small and making excel think that there was data beyond it limits. I don't know if I am explaining this very well. I copied the data from the corupt sheet to a new sheet and the slide bar was back to normal. Saved the workbook again and it was now 214kb.

I am not sure if this is the issue that you are having but it could be worth looking at the file size to see if there is the potencial of corupt data.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#12 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

Thanks I will look into that possibility although I did have the user save a copy of the workbook already but I didn't get him to copy it to a completely new book.
I will let you know what happens.

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

Looked at the file size and it was 2.5mb. I know this does not seem that big but for the data that was in it this is huge. I found the sheet that caused the problem by simply see that the slide bar was really small and making excel think that there was data beyond it limits. I don't know if I am explaining this very well. I copied the data from the corupt sheet to a new sheet and the slide bar was back to normal. Saved the workbook again and it was now 214kb.

Interesting idea here. The huger the file, the more invitation for error. I have a feeling, as you (projectfocus) do, that it's not it, still, I thought I'll comment how to prevent oversize worksheets. It's very simple. NEVER apply any formats to the entire range of columns or rows (borders, colours), and be very careful where the data really ends. Ctl-End will tell. Often users, accidentally write something in any old cell, and that something can be SPACE, and unless the sheet is checked for a true end, the spreadsheets suddenly is enormous.

One fix sounds good to me, and that's to copy the actual range of data over to another workbook, and then copy and paste special > formats over the data. That, other than Microsoft's repair are the only repairs I know of.

#14 Baloo

Baloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

tos
The Ctrl+End function did show that the actual end of the sheet was way out of whack which did cause the sheet to become extraordinarily large. I had the user copy only the data from each sheet in the book to a new book and voila the problem is fixed.

#15 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

Good news! Thank projectfocus for the idea. And thank you for posting back.
Don't delete the old, broken, workbook yet.

Review dependencies that might be there. I think it's just in one place where calculations might point to the old workbook.
Please, on the main menu in Excel, click Edit. Make sure you display the entire menu. You should see a line saying "Links".
If it's shaded out, you're good to go.
If it not shaded out, it means the new workbook is still tied to the old, or something else. Make sure all the references are valid, and transfer or edit calculations as needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users