Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Little Piece Of Save Now...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eve72shy

eve72shy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

Last week I had SaveNow, Relevant Knowledge, NewDot.Net and Brave Sentry get onto my PC. After rebooting into Safe Mode, I was sucessful in cleaning pretty much everything with a combination of AVG Spyware and SpyBot.

I have this new screensaver(yes got it last week, some coincidence) and whenever it kicks in, my Trend MicroPCillin Real-Time protection thingie sends a popup referencing this file:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{49238636-6A46-4DA8-92A1-5A5DA2BD9A93}\RP302\A0056565.exe

I think it's some residue from SaveNow but when I scan my system now, it doesn't detect any malware. Is there a way I can clean this annoying file without uninstalling my nifty new screensaver?

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:13 AM

Info and removal instructions
http://www.pchell.com/support/savenow.shtml

Downloading Free Screensavers is one of the surest ways to get infected !

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 eve72shy

eve72shy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. I had already removed the uninstall and the NDNuninstall executables with AVG and SpyBot. I went to PROCEDURE 4 from the link you provided. The link appears to be outdated. It redirects me to the NewDot home page. I can't find this file for download from them. Any other ideas?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

OK, try the uninstaller in the link below. Looks like New dot net removed reference to the uninstaller in the link that PC Hell provided.
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeNewDotNet.html

I just reread what you first posted. That file is in your system restore files. Just turn the restore off, reboot and turn it back on. That will flush your restore points and get rid of the file.

Edited by buddy215, 15 March 2007 - 09:38 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 eve72shy

eve72shy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

Great. How, specifically, do I turn the restore off?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

Turn on/ turn off system restore instructions:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#7 eve72shy

eve72shy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

Thank you, Buddy215. Your speedy replies helped me quickly clean up that last piece. Great support here at BleepingComputer!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

You are welcome.
Check out the NASA site in the link below for screen saver quality images. A lot of them will fill your screen after clicking on the image.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070228.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users