Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pepo

Pepo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Hello, was wondering if anyone could help. My computer is nackered I think! MY CPU is at a constant 100% and I have to wait about two hours (no joke yesterday it was 4hrs) before i can use it! SPBBCSvc.exe & CCEVTIMGR.EXE are the two processes using all my CPU stuff. It all began last week when windows updated, I dont normaly allow it but thought might as well, the windows live and msn were installed. I then began getting pop-ups about windows problems and all that sort of stuff, also stuff from em.gat-network. I never used to get this suff and dont know much about comuting so I downloded google pack with norton antivirus05, i was runnin Az antivirus and had no probs, but deleted it as per nortons request.

So my questions:

1.How do i remove Norton? it has no uninstall feture

2.Should I just remove windowsXPhome and reinstall, if so how do do that?

3.Where can I gt a good antivirus and spyware/badware blocke?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Edited by Pepo, 15 March 2007 - 08:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

You can remove Norton through the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel however after removing the software that way you will want to edit all references of Norton and Symantec from your registry in order to be sure that it is completely gone. It would be a good idea to back up the registry before you try this since if you are not sure what you are doing you could really screw up your system.
Option B is probably the safest way to fix the problem. You can reinstall Windows as long as you have the original CD. Put the CD in the drive and restart your computer watch for the prompt to press any key to boot from CD and then you are in business! When booting from the CD you will be asked if you want to reinstall windows ar repair a windows installation. If you choose to repair you won't lose any data you have on your computer but it will put windows back to where it was at the first install so you will have to do all the Windows updates again.
Your call but there are your options.

:thumbsup:
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

SPBBCSVC.EXE is a part of the Symantec Internet security suite but CCEVTIMGR.EXE...?

Unless you recognize that file, I suggest you submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of CCEVTIMGR.EXE and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.

Where can I gt a good antivirus and spyware/badware blocke?

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

Edited by quietman7, 15 March 2007 - 01:33 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

Are you sure it not ccevtmgr.exe which is Symantec Event Manager?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Pepo

Pepo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the help, i went to add/remove and got rid of Norton, YAHOO!!!!
Now one more question
If I put the widows cd rom and i either reinstall or fix windows will that remove any virus?, cause I keep geting em.gad-network coming up and winantivirus2007 also its really ticking me off!!

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Edited by Pepo, 16 March 2007 - 07:49 AM.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:13 AM

Are you sure you completely removed Norton. Please use this guide to remove norton completely.

Please go over the links quietman gave you to make your choise of antivirus. I use AVG Free (check my sig) and it has kept me clean for over two years now.

To remove viruses you have to utilise anti virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users