Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'm having problems connecting to the internet. My DSL is connected and network card is working fine but no browser is displaying (firefox & internet explorer). I don't have a gaateway address, get a 10047 error, got a 404 error, also have reset settings in explorer. Local area statis states connected, packets sent but0 received.Any help is greatful, need help back tracking this problem so if you have an idea please repond and if i,ve tried it we'll go from there. Thanks
Theres hope for most, but only patiance for few.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350 Take a look at this, it may help you out a bit.

What IP address are you getting from the DSL modem?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 Succor

Succor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

I will take a look at that site. IP address is set correct 192.168..something but its getting the address. Not sure whats going on and problem still happening, but I won't stop tell I figure it out. Anymore suggestions would be greatful, have try many things and at a point i'm not sure where to go now. Thinking point...lol...Thanks for the reply.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

Sometimes,

problems with DSL modems "heal themselves"

if you unplug it for about 30 seconds

and then plug it back in,

wait about a minute while it resets,

and then try again.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Succor

Succor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:58 AM

I have tried to reset the modem by turning it off and it didn't work. Thanks for the reply, I believe the problem is something to do with the cable connection or some setting somewhere, I just don't know where. The hardware is hooked up right because I have other PC's running off the modem. Still on the search of the problem and I will figure it out and post the fix as soon as we find it. Thanks again for everyones help. Succor

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/WinSock_...ock_XP_Fix.html

sounds like local puter/registry issues. go to the link provided, download the small utility there, run it, reboot, try the net again. post back with the result please.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#7 Succor

Succor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

Winsock fix didn't work. Getting Limited or no connection on the network connection. Uninstalled NIC cards and nothing. Starting to back track my steps, if anyone has any ideas post and i'll try and repost results.

All ready tried:
Uninstall / Reinstall NIC cards
Reset Modum
IP address reset
Create new network connection
change NIC cards
LSP fix
Winsock Fix

Thats all I can thank of right now. Please read above to see what has been posted. Thanks

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:33 AM

You say you have not got a gateway address. That would be the reason that it would not connect to the internet. The gateway address will need to be set to the ip address of the router. Normally 192.168.1.1

Also ake sure in the internet explorer options you have in the connections -> Lan serttings Automatically detect settings turned on. This will make sure that settings are automatically pulled into IE.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#9 Succor

Succor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

projectfocus Posted Today
You say you have not got a gateway address

It will not display a gateway address, I have put it in my self and still nothing. I believe its 192.168.0.1. The LAN setting are set to automatic in IE, I have also used other browsers which should rule out browser problems, IE & firefox is not connecting. :thumbsup:

I know that a gateway & IP address is needed and for some reason its not picking up the gateway address. I did use another computers IP address and the firewall on that computer reconized another computer was using the address. So I know its trying to go through but somethings not right. When I try fixing the connection it tells me windows can't fix the connection.

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

can you try this please and postr back>
start>run>hit enter>type in "ipconfig /all">hit enter
post back your ip/subnet/gateway/dns please.
192.168.x.x is a private ip address, so you have a router, what is the name brand?

other ideas>change network cable
switch ports in the router to a known working port.
try booting into "safe mode with networking" by hitting f-8 when you boot (POST)
have you done an updated virus scan?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#11 Succor

Succor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Well everyone the problem has been fixed. The other day the computer crashed an a fresh copy of windows XP was installed :trumpet: , not sure what happened but we don't win them all, could have been a virus of some kind. I checked for virus and never found anything but that doesn't mean I couldn't of missed something, maybe it was a root virus because I never did a root kit scan but I got so into this problem that I never rescanned the computer so no telling.

I thank everyone for replying. Snapper the computer crashed before I could get you infor. you wanted, I thank you for the help.

If this was the cause of a virus I give them there props, :inlove: thats one more for them but I just took out 3 trojans and a worm on a computer this week so thats 4 more for me :flowers: .

If anyones intresed I have a hardrive ? :thumbsup: in the hardware section. Title - Maxtor Thanks again everyone wish we could of figured this one out but thats haw it goes.

#12 Succor

Succor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

I screwed up and stuck the hardrive question in the All other Applications, trying to get it moved to the hardware forum. One of them days...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users