Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup/ghosting Software

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

Is there something different about programs like Norton "Ghost" from other copying/backup programs? I have one called "Nero" which came with my computer. If I want to copy my whole hard disk so that if something happens I can just reinstate everything, do I have to get special software? Thank you.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Software like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image are Imaging programs that can create and restore exact copies of your PC, including the OS, applications, users settings and all other data.

The Windows Backup Utility can backup and restore the files and folders on your computer.

Nero is a Multimedia application and has nothing to do with backups.

Edited by TMacK, 18 March 2007 - 02:07 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

tekchallenged

The backup software should also provide you with a method to restore the data,

so you shouldn't need additional software.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup: . My question is, if you do a "normal" full backup of all of the files and folders on your computer and restore them, don't you get back your OS, applications, users settings and all other data? Is there anything you get back with an imaging program that you wouldn't get back with a full system backup?
(The main reason I am interested is that I was directed by a tech to "repair" my OS and lost all of my updates so I want a back-up that doesn't return me to the "dark ages"...)

[TMack, that Nero program has a section for "copying and back-up", with options to schedule back-ups and restore, etc.]

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hi tekchallenged,

It sounds to me like you are looking for an Imaging Program as it totally clones your Hard drive.

With the Windows backup utility, you will have to manually d/l all of the past updates and install them.

[TMack, that Nero program has a section for "copying and back-up", with options to schedule back-ups and restore, etc.]

Interesting....have never heard of this before.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

Well, if you lose all updates, there's no point backing the system up at all (only the files), you might as well just reinstall it from the disk if it all bites the dust?

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

I guess thats a personal choice.

I have been there/done that and really wouldn't want to loose my e-mail,saved documents, photos(yes I have most of them on CD's),bookmarks,extensions,settings etc.
Eventho I had to d/l six months worth of windows updates...and I was on dial-up at that time too mind you...it was worth it.

After that experience is when I purchased the Imaging software. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

I have done more reading, and I've also bought a back-up drive which comes with its own software on it. So, am I right in thinking that, if you have the imaging software, you can reinstate the image and it will all work as before (if the failure isn't due to a virus which is also on the image), but if you have a full backup you will need to reinstall the OS first (because restoring the files won't restore the right registry settings), restore the files from the backup and download updates again ? If I've understood this, the imaging software might be the way to go - (if you don't mind me asking) what do you have TMack, and are you happy with it and is it easy to use? I am just trying to find out now what I would need to do if the computer "broke", then set it up and forget about it. Thanks for any help.

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

You've got it figured out tekchallenged :thumbsup:

At first I tried Symantecs Save and Restore, kind of a kicked up Ghost. It was very user friendly but a huge resource hog.
Have recently started using Acronis True Image. My only complaint so far is the user guide is only in pdf format. Wouldn't be much help to me if I'm having trouble restoring my OS. :flowers:
You can schedule set backup times/dates with both of these programs.

It'd be interesting to see exactly what kind of backup software is pre-installed on your backup drive.
Is there any user guide or readme file for it?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

It'd be interesting to see exactly what kind of backup software is pre-installed on your backup drive.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "on it" but "with it" - it had to be installed. It's a Maxtor One Touch III. You press a button and it copies whatever you've said you want it to. You can set it to do it at set days and times. There's a button to restore. It's very simple to use - I only got it yesterday, and I've got it sussed, so it's basically idiot proof :thumbsup: . There is a user guide, but good luck finding anything on the site...
I know what you mean about PDFs - it's a bit tricky following instructions you have on a computer, when the computer is broken. That's why I am trying to find out how to get it going again if everything bit the dust and put the instructions somewhere. I've still got my old computer which would get me onto the internet and people to ask, but it wouldn't tell me how to work this one.....
I've heard good reports about True Image, I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks for your help.

#11 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:47 AM

I am using true image. This actually provides the best of both situation. Imaging and backing up. So you can have an image of abuilt system and then use a backup software for the files. So this will enable you to bcreate 1 Image that you can reload in the event of full failure and then the Backup to move the files back that have been changed more reacently.
Posted Image

#12 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

Interesting topic going here. I, like everyone else practically, have crashed and burned at some stage. It's very disheartening and I have been thinking along these same lines of having to do little more than push a button and be back to where I was prior to getting smoked (or smoking myself :thumbsup: )

You've got it figured out tekchallenged :flowers:

At first I tried Symantecs Save and Restore, kind of a kicked up Ghost. It was very user friendly but a huge resource hog.
Have recently started using Acronis True Image. My only complaint so far is the user guide is only in pdf format. Wouldn't be much help to me if I'm having trouble restoring my OS. :inlove:
You can schedule set backup times/dates with both of these programs.

I am using true image. This actually provides the best of both situation. Imaging and backing up. So you can have an image of abuilt system and then use a backup software for the files. So this will enable you to bcreate 1 Image that you can reload in the event of full failure and then the Backup to move the files back that have been changed more reacently.

I don't think I am comprehending the quoted information properly.... this True Image program by Acronis makes an exact copy of the XP OS, drivers being used, programs installed, etc., etc. on a second HDD, which can be used to rebuild the entire system if it fails. I presume one reformats the blown HDD and then has True Image put all these goodies back in place and thats the end of the problem. Am I thinking correctly?

Couple of questions... does True Image also back up the saved data at the same time... ie My Documents, My Pictures, etc. ? In other words does True Image back up "everything" and stand ready to put everything back in place should it become necessary? Or in addition to True Image does one need another program for the data. I doubt that would be the case, but one never knows.

I've got a 40G Seagate external USB drive which I used the Windows Back Up utility to put back up information onto. I also copied My Documents to the drive as well, but it doesn't sound like this approach is the way to go. I thought that when I did it, but better than nothing I suppose. The time has come to get myself sorted in this area. I do want to get this business of having to possibly rebuild my system from scratch out of the equation once and for all if such a thing is possible to do. :cool:

Thanks all for your input(s).

Later GRJ :trumpet:

#13 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

As Globe Roamer Jeff has resurrected this thread :thumbsup: , can I tack on some more questions for the guru guys? My new backup drive sets restore points which can be used to "rollback" the system. I know why this happens (and that XP does it), but what exactly is the external drive doing when it is setting restore points? Is it copying and what is it copying? (It does start working, when its not set to be doing a backup, so I suppose that is what it is up to....) Also, what is the "System State" copy in the XP backup - what does that get you back if you restore that after a recovery reinstallation? Thanks.

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

Couple of questions... does True Image also back up the saved data at the same time... ie My Documents, My Pictures, etc. ? In other words does True Image back up "everything" and stand ready to put everything back in place should it become necessary?

Yes, it can be set to backup everything. After making this complete image backup, you could restore it entirely onto a new HD, or you can restore just one file from that backup image.

Or in addition to True Image does one need another program for the data. I doubt that would be the case, but one never knows.

Nope. See answer above.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

Thanks JohnWho...

Sounds like True Image is just what the doctor ordered to cure those nasty little virsus one might run onto... Do you have a link by any chance?

For tekchallenged... Did you end up getting TI? Or did your back up drive come with something similar?

Regards.. GRJ :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users