Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Workgroup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

I'm trying to workgroup my mom's laptop and my desktop in order to share a printer connected to my desktop. My desktop is wired directly to the router and the laptop is wireless. I clicked set up home or small office network on mydesktop and named it MSHOME and then did the same for my mom's laptop. When I try to access the workgroup on both computers it gives me the same error. " You cannot access the workgroup at this time, you may not have sufficient permission or one of the other systems may be turned off. Contact the system administrator for details." I then tryed redoing the network setup process on both computers and named the workgroup MSHOME2 and I was able to access the workgroup but not access my desktop from the laptop or the laptop from my desktop and could not access either even thought I could see them in the workgroup. I also enabled NETBIOS tc/ip like another tut told me to do but no cigar.. I was wondering if anyone knows anything else I can try, because I know I got this to work at my dads house ( parents divorced ) with the same setup but I dont remember how.

Thanks in advanced for any responses.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

are you using xp pro or home?
do you know what a firewall is? if so, are you running the windows firewall or a 3rd party firewall? are you able to surf the net with both compujters?
is your printer set as shared?

Edited by Snapper, 14 March 2007 - 08:33 PM.

Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

I am running windows XP home, I can't try right now because my mom's out with her laptop but I think it may be the windows firewall plus the zonealarm firewall.I don't know how I didn't think of that for myself :thumbsup: Thanks for your response and I'll repost if I have any more trouble.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users