Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc "hangs" During Boot Up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

Everything was fine till about a week ago.

Hit "power", HDD LEDs lit up, CD light went on, then off, DVD light went on and stayed on and nothing else happened.

Usually, the DVD light goes on, then off, then beep, then away we go with the normal process.

Thought I might have a disk jammed in the tray, so I shut down the power & used the release to get the tray open, but no disk, so I shut the tray & turned on the power & then it worked as usual. Thought it was weird, figured maybe the tray wasn't shut all the way the first time?

Next few times, it booted without issues. Then it does the hang thing again; but opening and closing the DVD tray seemed to work.

Today same thing but opening & closing the tray didn't work, just sits there with the DVD light on and goes no further. All the fans, etc. power up and run fine, it just hangs up before the post beep.

I checked the connections & they appear fine. DVD is set as master and CD as slave on the same line. I have been using both drives and they seemed OK till now.

Any advice as to the appropriate order to start checking things out? Should I try swapping out the cables or connectors? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

The DVD is AOpen, (model 1616L, not 100% sure of the number, looking for the documentation) and the CD is a Sony. (looking for the model on that one.

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:20 AM

To find the source of the problem, can you unplug the DVD drive from the IDE cable (and power cable too). If it boots normally, and continues to boot normally, then plug the drive back in and see if it starts to hang. If it does, then you know that the DVD drive has "issues".

You can also try to uninstall it and reinstall it via device manager to see if that helps (although unplugging it above should do the same thing).

Let us know if this works! If not, then we'll go from there!

Sorry it's taken so long to get to this post :thumbsup: ....been very busy :flowers:

Edited by stevealmighty, 16 March 2007 - 07:20 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:15 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I followed your suggestion & unplugged the DVD from power & IDE, still would not boot. Unplugged CD, no boot; unplugged floppy, no boot; unplugged SATA & power, no boot. Pulled mobo battery, its fine, cleared CMOS, still no boot.

So I looked at the case LEDs and saw the green power LED was on, good, but HDD LED on also, oh crap, HDD LED still on even tho nothing plugged into IDEs or SATAs????? Does this mean a dead board?

If that's the deal, is it possible to take SATA HDD & connect it to an operational machine that has 2 HDDs on the IDEs or will that result in 2 non-working computers? Just grasping at straws here, I need stuff off the SATA like yesterday. :thumbsup:

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

Try reseating everything on your mobo. If it is a dead mobo, then your options are very limited :flowers:

You can pull that drive out and install it as a slave on another computer to get your data off it. You might have to pull one of the other drives out (not the master drive though) in order for it to work as a slave. Or, you could remove optical drive(s) and install it on the secondary IDE cable.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Stevealmighty-

I tried reseating board components & still no POST beep. I will try putting the drive in the other box, since it is an SATA will it configure as a slave to the EIDE master drive as long as I pull the slave drive first?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users