Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Paste

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

My friend got an intel pentium D 915 Presler processor for the computer he is building. I was asking him if it came with any thermal paste and he said no. From what I've heard its bad to use no thermal paste. What I was thinking though is since the fan is on top of the heatsink, that cools it enough? If not he can order some because he still needs to order more parts. Thanks for reading this!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

There is usually a thermal pad already applied to the heat-sink with retail processors.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hello,

There needs to be a seal in between the processor and the heat sink, if there is no seal, then the processor will overheat very quickly and can damage the unit.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone, for the help! My friend said the instructions never showed/told to put any thermal paste on anyways. Its probably safe, also since he won't be overclocking and has 4 fans.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:09 AM

I would still put some thermal paste on it to be safe, as soon as the user presses the power button, volts travel into the processor generating heat very quickly, if the heat sink is not attached correctly and there is no seal between the two, then the system will overheat.

I have a P4 2.8GHz, it has probably the largest heat sink known attached, with an equally impressive fan. Leaving the system on for a couple of hours and then touching the heat sink will result in burns.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

Not using some kind of thermal compound can damage the processor, whether you are overclocking or not. The thermal compound does not need to be thermal paste (in fact, it seldom is), but you need something. As I said earlier retail processors come with a thermal pad already applied to the heat-sink and as long as your friend mounted everything according to instructions everything is fine. If he doesn't have any form of thermal compound he risks damaging the processor.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users