Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 motive69

motive69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

I had a few virus on my comp... Mallware spywear those.. but i have files missing and i cant get on the intrenet (im currently using my brothers computer) I have no clue what to do. May be some one can tell me how to fix it or get the files back if this is in the wronge section please move it but i need help ><

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

Did you get an error message about these missing files?
We would be able to help you better if you could provide a screenshot of the error message or perhaps just tell us what the message said.

I had a few virus on my comp

What procedure did you follow to get rid of this virus,if it is infact gone from your computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 motive69

motive69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

I went into safe mode. ran Avg free edition. they may be still on there. but i cant get online to dl anything else. As for the Sreen shot cant do that.. But i didnt get a error msg or anything like that but none of my internet programes are connecting. So i am guessing that is the cause. when i try to get on the internet off of fire fox it says the same massage as if you type in a wronge adress this is the same as the other browsers.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit ENTER.
A dos Window will appear. Type or copy/paste the following: netsh winsock reset
Hit ENTER.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Also try running the the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.

Note: per Microsoft there sometimes can be problems with using SFC:

When you try to run the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD. However, the System File Checker does not accept either the Windows XP SP2 CD or the original Windows XP CD. This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900910

When you use the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-based computer, you may be prompted to insert one of the following:
CD 1 from the Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD package
The Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD
The Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897128
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users