Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Vocals From A Music Track

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hi all,

My son has a gig soon and requires a couple of backing CD's
He wants to cover a couple of old songs,(they are no longer within the copyright period)
But we cannot find any backing tracks/karaoke tracks because they are so old.
Does anyone know of any software/freeware that enables the removal of the original vocals but leaves the original music intact?
I have found one but not sure if it worth the money, or is for real??

http://make-backing-music.com/?gclid=CMGW3...CFRk3gQodSisa5Q

Any advice would be appreciated. I have until the weekend to sort this :thumbsup:

Kind regards

Edited by Geoff777, 14 March 2007 - 01:56 PM.

Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

You may want to take this with a grain of salt, because it could be completely wrong. I am familiar with music industry recording, and I am aware of capabilities of computers; I am going to wager an educated guess.

When music is mixed in recording studios, all the music and vocals are kept on separate tracks. that way, if they want to change something, they can change it without having to re-record everybody else's parts (studio time is incredibly expensive). When tracks are made for Karaoke, they are mixes that do not include the vocal track.

On the consumer version of a song, everything is collapsed into two tracks. Computers are good at picking out various frequencies, but it becomes incredibly difficult when everything is mixed together. A human sitting down can manually filter out some of the vocals, but in places where the vocal frequency happens to match the frequency of the music, it is going to filter the music also.

In a nutshell, I would be very skeptical of any software that can claim to accomplish what this is claiming. I would be equally skeptical of any software that could claim to decipher captcha. It is sort of the same concept.
If they offer a trial, give it a whirl and see how it works, but I wouldn't invest any money in it until I had a chance to test it on a variety of music.

And again, I could be completely wrong. :thumbsup: It would only be the umpteenth time today.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

places where the vocal frequency happens to match the frequency of the music, it is going to filter the music also.

That's basicly it.
Voices are recorded on the center channel. So is the Base and Kick.
If you listen to the "before and after" samples in the above link, it's clearly evident.
Don't pay for software that claims it can do it magicly. It's money down the drain.
You can acomplish the same results using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (now part of the very expensive adobe audition) for free. You may be able to find some middle ground you can live with.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 March 2007 - 09:53 AM.

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

Hi guys.

Thanks for the responses, l finally downloaded the backing tracks l required from Ameritz.
The gig went well and everyone had a great time. :thumbsup:

Kind regards
Geoff

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Glad you found what you were looking for and things went so well. At first glance it seems a little pricey but if you figure editing time to do it yourself, not a bad deal overall I suppose. (what's your time worth?)
Thanks for posting back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users