Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

networking windows 98 and xp machines

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bikenerrd

bikenerrd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:39 PM

Ok, so I've got my two nics in and a crossover cable going. I set up the IPs and subs to match expcept for the last digit or two (.10 and .11 for example) but, I can't even ping either PC and someone told me that if I want to share files and the cable modem connection like I want to, I'll need to get a hub and get my money back for the crossover cable.

Other than upgrading the older 98' PC to XP, any clues?

Thanks,
bN.

Edited by bikenerrd, 08 January 2005 - 01:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:56 PM

So one computer has two nics with one nic connected via crossover to another computer and the other nic connected to the cable modem?

#3 bikenerrd

bikenerrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, and now that doesn't seem right huh?. A coworker told me to install a nic in each. I think what I need is just a hub.
So should the setup be from cable modem to hub and from hub to each pc? I can return the extra nic. Is that right?

bN.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

Yes the easiest solution is definitely a small hub that you connect the router and the two computers two. Then both computers get an ip address from the router and talk directly to it

#5 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

Also you need to install netbeui onto the xp machine because it's disabled or something like that. I was having problems too and came across that you had to install it. I'd tell you how to do it but it's been so long ago and I have forgotten. Good luck though.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hi . I have a simular setup . Run down to the local Walmart and get a Linksys NR401 router. About $40. Works great. In truth any router will do what you need . You may want to get one with a built in print server so they can share one printer.
All-in-one printer don't work with print servers. Hope this helped. Please double check with the Sys Admin here before acting on this advice.

Acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 bikenerrd

bikenerrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

cool, now I just need to find the time....

and thanks for the tip on the print server option. that was my intention to also share the printer. I'll let you know if I have more trouble...

thanks again.
bN.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

Go to START\CONTROL PANAL\NETWORK SETUP WIZARD to connect your computers (under XP) and run the setup . Make a network disk when prompted .
It does not get any easier. By the way if you install a print server turn off printer share in My Network properties. If you don't when you install the network it will cross link the print drivers as if the printer was hooked to each machine. You will have sets of drivers for each printer. I just went throught that( I have 12 computers hook up on my LAN at home what a headache that was). If you want to control the second computer from the first try http://www.realvnc.com . Works great and its freeware. Hope this was of some help.

Acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users