Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, My Webhost Doesn't Know Linux

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lunaz

lunaz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

well, i'm noob too. :thumbsup: i'm trying to set up my domain email to work with evolution but i can't get it working. i got it going w/ outlook on hte windows comp but soon it won't be a windows comp anymore... :flowers: i emailed my host (parcom.net) about it, and they said they don't know the client & will look into it. that was last week.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

Sorry for the slow reply. Evolution setes up exactly the same as outlook(almost) and pop3 is pop3 your server dosent know or care what e-mail client you are useing all the e-mail client does is go to the right place and put in the right code to get the emails.. I suspect your problems lie elsewhere. Good luck, and happy computing(congrats on your migration from the land of the oppressed to the land of the free)
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#3 lunaz

lunaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

Good luck, and happy computing(congrats on your migration from the land of the oppressed to the land of the free)

haha ty :thumbsup: i have ubuntu on BOTH COMPS NOW!!!!!!!!!

and i got the email working on the new one, but not the old one. that's ok for now. :flowers: next up, java, mp3, and d2...

btw, ur avatar i great. :trumpet:

#4 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

:thumbsup:
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

here's a nifty little tool for Ubuntu and Mandriva.

Automatix

I have yet to find anything that MPlayer won't play.

MPLAYER

MPlayer is in Synaptic as well.

Java is in Synaptic.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

When you set up Evolution, it should be the same as outlook express, right?
Assuming that to be true.....I have winxp on one computer and Ubuntu 7.10 on the other.
If I use the same settings for Evolution I will receive mail at either computer?
If that's true....great...
My ISP is Road Runner.
Also, I use AVG for mail scanning....what about Evolution?

Edited by joe883, 10 December 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#7 Eoin

Eoin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

When you set up Evolution, it should be the same as outlook express, right?
Assuming that to be true.....I have winxp on one computer and Ubuntu 7.10 on the other.
If I use the same settings for Evolution I will receive mail at either computer?
If that's true....great...
My ISP is Road Runner.
Also, I use AVG for mail scanning....what about Evolution?

You need to make sure that Leave a Copy on the Server is checked on both OS's. If not, which ever os downloads the emails, it will stay there.

As for mail scanning, there are no viruses (that I know of) that are native for Linux. I would suggest using Firestarter for the firewall though. Very easy to setup and configure.

Edited by Eoin, 11 December 2007 - 02:59 PM.

~~~The Infamous Eoin~~~

Mammon slept. And the beast reborn spread over the earth and its numbers grew legion. And they proclaimed the times and sacrificed crops unto the fire, with the cunning of foxes. And they built a new world in their own image as promised by the sacred words, and spoke of the beast with their children. Mammon awoke, and lo! it was naught but a follower.

from The Book of Mozilla, 11:9
(10th Edition)

#8 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

I have Firestarter installed, but getting it to work is something
else again..I'm to the point where I have it's icon sitting on the
taskbar but I'm not sure if it's really doing anything. I have to
get away from the Zone Alarm mentality but I'm waiting for it
to accept or deny a web site.
I do have Evolution mail up and running.....good for me eh?
There's great web site linuxquestions.org that I'm using but
so far I don't feel comfortable about the firewall.
I almost said, Maybe I don't need it....but unfortunately that's not
the case from what I gather here and there.

#9 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

joe883 - interesting point you brought up. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 myself. I installed Firestarter, just to err on the side of safety, and just to see if any intrusion attempts were made. This was about 4 months ago and nothing shows yet. When I click on it, the icon shows active, however, I don't really know if it's " working realtime" or not. I have read so much myself that states a firewall is not necessary in Linux, but I choose to use one.

Keiht

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

joe883 - interesting point you brought up. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 myself. I installed Firestarter, just to err on the side of safety, and just to see if any intrusion attempts were made. This was about 4 months ago and nothing shows yet. When I click on it, the icon shows active, however, I don't really know if it's " working realtime" or not. I have read so much myself that states a firewall is not necessary in Linux, but I choose to use one.

Keiht

First I can't help with Evolution (T-bird works just fine for me :thumbsup:) If you're behind a router then you could probably live without a firewall, if not I'd use one . There are plenty of places to test your firewall, https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and http://www.pcflank.com/ come to mind, while "stealth" is nice, as long as all your ports are closed you're ok. The firewall in PCLOS works just fine (very easy set up) and gives me more options than I need. I'm fairly sure most if not all Linux distros come with firewalls , normally IPTables. Firestarter and Guarddog are front end GUI's to help set them up without having to use the root terminal .

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

On a side note, I read an article once which talked about a fellow calling into technical support for his internet connection. To make a long story short, they assumed he was running windows, but he was actually on a linux distribution. When the technician found this out, he told the guy that was his problem, Linux doesn't have the internet...

Sounds like an urban legend to me, but still funny just the same. A Server rarely cares what clients or OS you use. Get to know the ins and outs of the apps, and you'll see that you can. My ISP told me thier service wasn't linux compatible after putting in the cable and switch box and router. I asked why, and they held up the installation disk, and said linux couldn't run it. So here's me, giggling on the inside. I had him call anyway to get the line activated, then I simply plugged the line in, powered on the modem, powered on the router...and tadaaaaaaaaaa, teh intraweb was on my peecee! The installer stood there and shook his head and asked how I did that...The world is a funny place, and there are a lot of not just linux, but IT ignorant folk out there who actually work in the industry. So keep at it, you'll get there with a little work and determination.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#12 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

joedude - funny, but too often true story. I just had to toss this in as a refreshing change. Actually just yesterday our internet service was out most of the day . So, getting impatient , I called our ISP which is Time-Warner Cable ( Cincinnati ) to see what the heck was going on. Of course they want to check and make sure it's nothing on the customer's end , so after getting beyond tier 1 ( unplug the modem for 15 seconds (blah..blah..and so one ) I got to a real tech. I thought it best to tell him upfront that I was using Linux.

To my shock and pleasent surprise he just asked me to open a terminal and gave a couple of commands to run for testing purposes. I was impressed!

Keith

#13 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
DON'T DO IT!!!!