Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet Another Pagefile Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

Like the title says, this is another pagefile question. Everywhere I look, I find a different opinion, some say huge pagefile=good; others say small pagefile=good; and still others say "it depends".

Alright, so let me tell you my backstory here...

Many moons ago, before the Age of Spare Cash, I ran Windows XP on an old machine with only 320MB RAM and a 550MHz Intel Celeron processor.( :thumbsup: :flowers: stop laughing!) I read about increasing the pagefile to improve performance. So, I increased the pagefile size to 2.5GB and moved the whole kit'n'kaboodle to a seperate disk (that is, an internal IDE disk which was not the boot drive).

I noticed a servicable increase in some respects, especially when playing certain games and when Windows forst booted. Alright, nifty, right? Right.

So, zoom ahead to today. Ye Olde Wussy Computer has been donated to a worthy cause (my neighbor's son, or as I call him "Geek-in-Training Billy"). Ye Newe Computer is a vast improvement: Intel Celeron D @ 2.66GHz with 1GB RAM (though 128MB is eaten by the onboard video, this will be rectified soon). Suffice it to say that Windows XP simply purrs now (Windows crashes much faster now, it's such an improvement! :trumpet: ). When I (re)installed Windows with this setup, I never bothered to change the pagefile from the "Let Windows Decide what's good for you" setting, and it's giving me 1524MB.

And now, finally, the question: do I really need 1.5GB for the pagefile? Opinions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hello,

They say if you have more than 1GB RAM then you don't need a page file. I happen to think that is quite silly. I have a 1GB Ram and when I put 4096MB worth of page file on a separate HDD, the system is flying along. I found that windows couldn't decide quickly enough how much page file was needed so I gave it the max, I have no problems with it and would recommend a large page file.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

They say if you have more than 1GB RAM then you don't need a page file. I happen to think that is quite silly. I have a 1GB Ram and when I put 4096MB worth of page file on a separate HDD, the system is flying along. I found that windows couldn't decide quickly enough how much page file was needed so I gave it the max, I have no problems with it and would recommend a large page file.

Hope this helps

I was told it is not a good idea to have the page file on a separate drive. I wound up putting 1532 on my C drive and the other half (1532) on my 2nd hard drive. I wish there was a clear cut answer for this. I have 1 gig of ram (my Max) :thumbsup:
Tom

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:53 PM

This is the only site that made sense to me.

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

The reason I have my page file on a separate disk is because the page file is an area of HDD that is used for RAM when RAM is full or similar circumstance. If the page file is located on the same drive as the operating system, and the user is playing a game, then the HDD has to spin to work the game files and at the same time spin to keep finding the OS files keeping it working.

Having the page file on another HDD reduces read times and everything works quicker as a result.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users