Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing To Install Sp2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Am I suppose to be Sorry I haven't downloaded SP2 ?

According to what I have found in the Information property above,(scrsht), and when directed to the MS web site regarding this the solution to starting the firewall which would not have started, if installeing SP2, I would have my hands full.
and be way over my head in technical jargon in fixing this.

Can anyone give me some insight concewrning the many problems I will encounter concerning updating my system to SP2.

I inserted an image (scrsht) but am not sure where it is, hope that it shows up in the post.

:thumbsup:

Jove.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

The main thing to be sure of, before updating to SP2, is that your computer is free of any type of spyware/malware/viruses.
That will definitely screw up the installation of SP2.
Other than that, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 floorman

floorman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

No need to be sorry Jove, but if your running an Xp os I would download sp2. It has a bunch of patches that will make your system more secure and run better. If you choose to download sp2 microsoft's download center will install it for you. Then it will run in the background and you shouldn't even have to worry about it.
Mark

#4 lilmama

lilmama

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

Jove: I was scared spitless to install SP2---didn't do it until last October and was a nervous wreck before/during the installation. LOL I would suggest you get the CD from Microsoft (you'll probably have it in your home in less than a week) and install it in Safe Mode. While you are waiting for the CD to arrive --- scan your machine and then scan it again!! Make sure it is squeaky clean.

Let us know how it goes. You will more than likely have no problems at all --- but if you do .... this forum is here to help you!

Good luck!

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Let me say this - XP SP2 is good, at least compared to XP SP1.

It's an unfortunate situation that many of the folks who really need the extra security that SP2 provides have been overly "fear mongered" into not having it installed on their PC's and they haven't been getting important security updates for XP.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

Hey,

I say thanks to you all, John Who, lilmama, floorman, tg1911,

for this advice, I think that I will order the CD from MS, :thumbsup: .

and do the scanning.

The screen shot, . . . I did use Photobucket, and I read your "scrnsht" instructions,
in another forum after you put in the IMG inf you push an insrt button, I did that here,
and when I went to preview it was pasted in the page above the message, I didn't know what was happening and went to preview a time or two, then it diappeared, so I must have done something wrong when pasting the IMG info. in the post.

But seriously thanks much ! :flowers:

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

To post an image, just copy and paste the tag provided by the image hosting site.
This image, and tags:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/tg1911/Boom_01.gif[/img]
produces this image:Posted Image

Something else; sometimes the board does strange things, when you use upper case letters in your tags (IMG, B, I, etc.).
Try changing them to lower case (img, b, i, etc.), and you shouldn't have any problems.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:47 PM

tq1911,

I thank you, the image paste worked fine !

Jp

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

You're welcome, Jove.
Good luck with the SP2 upgrade. :thumbsup:

#10 lilmama

lilmama

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Jove: I have somehow lost your message to me ........ go figure. :thumbsup: I strongly suggest that you wait for the CD from Microsoft ......... if you *must* have it sooner ......... :flowers: I have an extra one I can mail you ........ I just don't have a clue how to get it to you w/out the "world" knowing your address, etc. If someone would be so kind as to tell you*Grinler how to do this ..... it would be appreciated.

Reason I suggest that you wait for the CD is because it w/be so much quicker for you --- you won't run into so many/any problems w/the download ....... I don't know if you are on dial-up or DSL or what ----- (dial-up will take you forever........ and a day. Why put yourself through this ....... if you have already waited this long to install SP2?)

Using the CD w/just make it "easier" for you ..... and if you do it in Safe Mode --- its almost a "sure thing". (If, of course, your system is virus/spyware clean.)

I apologize again for losing your message to me .......... and while I really don't think it will be 4-6 weeks for MS to get the CD to you ........ it "might" take that long ------- who knows?

Can someone tell me how to ship this CD to Jove ---- ???

Thanks!

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

He can send you a PM with his E-mail address, if he wants to.
No one will see it, but you.

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hello lilmama,

I think I will take your advice and use the CD, while I certainly appreciate your offer, to send this to me,

I'm not in any huge hurry, let me check a little further into this, before making this request.

Thank you much ! :thumbsup:

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hello,

Let me ask you this, concerning the SP2 Disc for installation.

I am having a problem with Windows Outlook, it is my belief that it has been uninstalled, thats what my fax software manufacturer has told me after a scan.

Does the Sp2 Installation cover the re-installation of Windows Outlook.

It's not clear to me why I should have both Outlook Express and Outlook as a factory installed WXP-H

I have a laptop W-98 and searched for Outlook but could only find Outlook Express.

I have seen on the web, alot of D/L's for Outlook, but it's a little confusing there seems to be specifics for computers that use WXP as there OS but they atrt to differentiate, 2000, 2001,2002, 2003, etc.

And I see quite a few problems with installations and re-installing Outlook ?

I can not find a disc installation for this.

Can anyone help.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

Re: Re-Install Outlook Express
Reply #17 - Today at 11:42am Quote from Jp on Today at 11:15am:

Does the Sp2 Installation cover the re-installation of Windows Outlook.
Jp No.

Quote from Jp on Today at 11:15am:
It's not clear to me why I should have both Outlook Express and Outlook as a factory installed WXP-H

Jp Outlook is not factory installed. As I said in a previous post, "Outlook is bundled with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) or can be purchased separately; it is not free." Some versions were only bundled with Office.

If you don't have Outlook, you'll have to buy it. Period. Do not buy it from a downloadable source because it's probably not legitmate. Microsoft does not distribute Outlook by download. You need to buy it on CD. And, again, you may need to buy Office to get Outlook.

And, if you buy it and it turns out you really didn't need it for faxing, don't blame me. I don't use my computer to fax and I'm still not convinced that faxing can't be done without having Outlook installed. It's your call.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users