Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Windows Me Reading File Names Properly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tbhandari

tbhandari

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

This one's weird. I have a laptop running XP and a desktop running ME. I can copy files to my flash drive on ME, and then copy them properly to XP. This is fine. But when I copy files to the flash drive on XP, and then view them in ME, ME randomly shows certains files and folder in all caps. And this is how the files get copied too when I copy them over to ME, which causes problems because I'm copying website files/folders.

The problem's just in how ME is reading the files, because I can then put the flash drive back into the XP machine, and it reads the files just fine. It's just ME that seems to randomly show certain files and folders in all caps. I can't figure out what's causing this. Tried formatting the drive. Tried contacting tech support for the flash drive. Neither one helped. Anyone have any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

Someone just mentioned that it might have to do with the fact that I have NTFS running on the XP box. Is there anyway around this if it is the case?

#3 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Well. I figured out a workaround for the problem. I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but if I zip the files prior to copying them to the flash drive, then when I unzip it on the desktop, the filenames are preserved. Weird. I'd still like to hear if anyone knows why this is happening.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

I have done some research and it is indeed a weird thing. Thanks for the feedback.

#5 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:44 AM

No problem. I've now tried it with several different brands of usb flash drives. It happens EVERY time with the SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB and with the Lexar JumpFly 4GB flash drives. Still have no idea what's causing it, but the workaround is good enough for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users