Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Cd Burner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:41 AM

I have an old computer with windows xp home edition service pack two installed on it. It has a cd-rom drive that came with the computer. Later I had the same place where we bought it at, install a cd-burner. The cd-rom drive still works fine with windows and shows up on the boot screen. The burner does not. Every once and a while is shows up on windows as the D drive with the cd rom being E. During those rare periods it will read a cd but it wont right for more than 3 seconds and then turns it off with a windows error message on the screen. But If I play the cd what was written does play. Also the burners is a Ricoh cd burner if that helps any. My friend whom knows more about computers than me looked at it and said that they put it in the wrong spot. So he swithed its place with the cd rom drive and we formatted the hard-drive. (because I had a virus) The burner worked fine while he was testing it after we formatted the hard drive. After I started up the computer again to burn a cd it didn't show up anymore just like before. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:42 PM

First thing that I would do would be to pull out the old CD ROM drive and restart the computer. See if windows will now recognize the drive.

TBH, I'm not sure why, but sometimes windows just doesn't like more than one optical drive, while other times it's completely fine with more than one drive. I had an old computer running Win95 with 2 drives in it. Worked great. I upgraded to Win98, and it still worked great. I built a new machine with Win XP, and installed the same 2 drives......I had issues. Pulling the ROM drive solved it for me.

What is the exact make/model of your drive? I can try to find some drivers for it to see if that will help if you're against pulling the ROM drive.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

Thank you for posting! I was getting lonely in this topic! I'll try to find out what exact make and model it is I'll post when I found out.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for posting! I was getting lonely in this topic! I'll try to find out what exact make and model it is I'll post when I found out.

Ok, let us know! And sorry about taking a while to get to this topic....needless to say that we've all been busy! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

sorry I haven't gotten around to it yet I've had one crazy weekend.

#6 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

ok, now I finally did it! I'm sorry for the late response...It's a Ricoh CD-RW MP 6200 A. Thanks for your help :)

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

That's odd...I had a Ricoh when I had that same problem.

Try downloading the drivers from HERE. *NOTE* This is the same site that I got my drivers from a while ago. You'll have to view some "free adds" to get the drivers.

You might have to unplug your CD drive, restart your computer, then install the drivers, then shut your computer down, plug in your CD drive and finally restart your computer.

Hope this works for you!
Posted Image

#8 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

thanks, I'll download the drivers A.S.A.P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users