Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rom Issues

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

I think this is my first post, so please bare with me!
I have a Compaq Presario Computer (SR1403WM) with a Lite-On Combo SOHC-4832K DVD Rom installed (it came with it). When I try to play a CD in it, any kind, it tries to play it, makes sounds over and over like it is trying to read it. Then it gives up. But it does not spit the CD out automatically. It does work when I press the eject buttons, it is just not reading. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have looked for updates. I have found a possible problem. When I went into diskpart, it listed that the DVD ROM was on the "I" drive, while Windows listed it as being on the "E" drive. I changed the Windows letter to "I" and it did absolutely no good. Same issue. I think this has something to do with it but I cannot make heads or tails out of diskpart to change my DVD ROM form drive I to drive E. I know there is somebody out there who is way smart and can help me! You guys have helped me so much in the past with other issues partaining to malicious programs and such, and you are SO appreciated!!!!

Sincerely,
Kim :thumbsup:

"Blast it, Skywalker, stay out of my mind." ―Mara Jade to Luke Skywalker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

If you are sure you have the latest drivers installed please do the following :

MY COMPUTER RIGHTCLICK PROPPERTIES HARDWARE click the upper radio button THAN SELECT THE FAULTED DRIVE and push delete ( Yes I am sure :thumbsup: )
Confirm and re boot. After reboot the add hardware manager comes up and will assign a drive number in sequence and potentially will solve your conflict issues.

If this doesn't work we will look for other ways...

#3 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

Fozzie,
Sorry for the long delay in my response. But thank you for answering my plea for help :flowers:

I went into Hardware under Properties like you told me too, but found no such radio button. I searched under the device manager and found the sound devices, but I do not think that is what you had in mind. Also, I am missing an icon from my Control Panel, and I do not know which one it is. It is between "Phone and Modem Options" and "Power Options" Since they go aphabetically, I am trying to figure out which it is. I have not refreshed the icons because I want to know which it is and if it is related to my problem.

I hope I am not too much of a pain and I really appreciate your help.

By the way, I found the newest driver for my disk drive, but I have to USE the drive to install it. How stupid is that? I thought I knew enough about computers to get me through problems like this. I learned BASIC in grade school and even kept up with most of the changes while growing up. But this is a real mess!

Sincerely,

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:49 AM

What you need to do is go to your Device Manager and look under the DVD\CD-ROM drives installed. When you find yours, just right-click on it and delete it. Then reboot.

Also, for your missing icons in the Control Panel, all you need to do to see which icon you may be missing is to right-click on any open spot in that window. Then when the drop-down pops up, just choose Auto Arrange... and by Name. At least they'll be in ascending order, and you can go from there, (which gives me an idea), and that is to take a screen shot of a default Control Panel, and list it here, so others can see what should be the defaulted icons they should have in theirs.

Edited by Walkman, 18 March 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#5 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

I have uninstalled the device a few times, I even reinstalled the drivers, including the default audio drivers.
The missing icon issue has been resolved. There is an icon in its place, although it is not in the right order. I am beginning to think it might be a problem with the actual device. But, it runs and the tray opens, it even tries to read, but the computer does not detect a disk, and I guess the device just gives up. I looked at BIOS and it is where it should be. I just do not get the I drive thing.

I tried to use System Restore, but it is not working. I tried three restore points and all three failed. I do not want to have to scrap the whole system again. Is there a way for me3 to restore the computer without removing my data files? I have had to do it before and all of my pictures were gone. I have no way to store them unless I put them on Photobucket or MySpace, but that is a lot of work and I am not sure I want the general public to see all of those pictures. Some are of family who do not want to be on the web!

I am sorry to keep bugging yuo with my problems, but it is one after another now. First the DVD-ROM, now the System Restore. :thumbsup:

I appreciate all of your help thus far.

Gratefully,
Kim

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

Have you by any chance tried to clean the lens on the DVD-ROM, using a cleaning disc?

If you make your Photobucket folders private, no one will see them, but you.

For System Restore, see if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
System Restore Restore Failures

Edited by tg1911, 28 March 2007 - 09:53 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

I will try these things and get back to you. Thanks!

Gratefully!

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:03 AM

You're welcome, Kim.
Let us know how it goes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

I have no way to store them unless I put them on Photobucket or MySpace, but that is a lot of work and I am not sure I want the general public to see all of those pictures. Some are of family who do not want to be on the web!

what you can do is zip them using a program like winzip and upload them to a hosting service. Alternatively you can sign up with gmail, where you have upto 2 GB storage space. let us know what is happening.

#10 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

Well, I recovered my PC. My drive still does not work. But the computer and Windows both agree that the drive is the I: drive. I thought it was E: before. It was before. But I decided to recover it because of the other issues I was having. I backed it all up on photobucket in a private folder. But it looks like everything stayed on the computer this time. Last time everything was erased. Is that why the problem did not resolve itself? I think I did a non-destructive recovery. Perhaps I should have did the same thing I did before. I am right now thinking about putting in a new drive, but I am not sure if that will solve the problem. The drive will not even read the cleaning disk I put in it. It just makes repeated sounds like it is trying to read, and the light flashes. Then it gives up. Media Player, Real Player and ITunes all say that no disk is in there, but Windows read one disk at the very beginning. But then it stopped. :flowers:

Sooooo.....what should I do next? Do any of these tidbits give any of you guys a clue? I am a semi-geek, but this has me stumped. I can change out the physical drive. But I do not know how to switch the letters back to E: if that is what I need to do. If I am told how, I can and I will never forget. My dad is a real geek, he built his computer (I use the word geek with the utmost respect because geeks rule!) and he is a robotic technician. I would ask him, but you guys have better resources and are more accessible since I am actually on my computer right now. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for your help and patience. I am about to kick my computer, myself. :trumpet:

Sincerely,
Kim

Edited by heavymetalbaby, 30 March 2007 - 02:17 PM.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

To me, It's sounding like the drive is bad.
Is your computer experiencing any problems, other than the drive not reading?
Do you have a drive you can borrow, or a spare, that you can try out?

#12 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

I have a drive that I bought for a computer I had right before I got this one. It is about as old as this computer (at the most 3 years old) so it should be good. I have to dig it out of the old computer (it never did work in the old computer). It is not a DVD-ROM/CD-Writer, just a CD-Writer. I do not look forward to doing it...I know it can be time consuming to get that old computer taken apart, let alone taking the cover off of this one for the first time. But since I did the PC Restore, my all-in-one printer is not working and I cannot install the drivers for it until I get a working disk drive (I tried).

All I can say about this whole thing is ARGH!

PS...No other problems since I did the PC Restore this morning. But I have not tried to use Windows Restore which was not working before I restored the entire system.

#13 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

Kim, as far as your printer goes your could always go to the manufacturers website and download the driver and save it in a folder on your hard drive and install it from there. DVD read/write drives are not expensive so you might want to take a look at buying a new one rather than digging an old CD drive out of another box. :-)

JG

#14 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

Sounds like a good idea, what do you think about an external drive? I have plenty of usb ports. Just curious, and a bit lazy right now. Or would I have to install an internal drive?

Kim

Edited by heavymetalbaby, 31 March 2007 - 05:33 AM.

#15 heavymetalbaby

heavymetalbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

I just found another issue with my computer...this is a new one since I did the "non-destructive" PC Restore. My FAT 32/Recovery Partition drive was drive D: but now it is drive H:...what's up with THAT? My PC is going crazy! Should I do a complete recovery and pray for the best? I am not sure if I will be able to get back online. I have a cable connection, and I am not sure if I will need to install the software from a disk.

Oh what a tangled web I seemed to have woven, or at least walked into!

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users