Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Regedit, Task Manager Been Disabled

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ah_wei

ah_wei

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

my pc task manager has been disabled and when i try to open regedit, an error message come out saying that the registry edit has been disabled by your administrator. where i'm the only person that is using this computer. the folder options also been disabled... can any one tell me how to fix this problem... i don want to reformat my computer.... i got a lot of important stuff in my pc....help please...thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

Visit the sites for more info on how to enable your regedit

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic58942.html
http://www.psxforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=73597

Another way to open it is (try this first)
Start>Run>type "regedit" (without quotes)

The probability if you're the only one using your computer is
that it could be caused by a virus posting a HJT log
in the HijackThis Logs & Analysis will help more just
to make sure theres no virus (base on the sites)
Hope this works :thumbsup:
-Commander Gman

Edited by Commander Gman, 13 March 2007 - 11:29 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

In case you do have a virus problem, this utility might be of help.

xp_emegencyutil.exe - Creates usable copies of REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager
v1.2 - 07/26/2004
© Doug Knox

This small VB 6 utility will create a usable backup copy of Taskmgr.exe, MSConfig.exe and Regedit.EXE in a new folder, called C:\EmergencyUtils. The new copies will be named Copy_of_Taskmgr.exe, Copy_of_MSConfig.exe and Copy_of_Regedit.com.

These programs are extremely helpful, and usually necessary in helping to rid your computer of a viral infection. Many virus programs will intercept these programs, based on their original file name, and prevent them from running. The alternate copies will not encounter this problem. Simply navigate to the C:\EmergencyUtils folder and double click the file you need to run.

To use: Download the xp_emergencyutil.zip file and save it to your hard drive. Double-click the xp_emergencyutil.zip file and extract xp_emergencyutil.exe to your hard disk. To run the EXE just double click it, there is no installer. You will have the option of running the programs automatically, after the copies are created.

NOTE: Your antivirus software may warn of a potentially malicious script. This is normal, as the Windows Scripting Host is used to create the "copies" of these 3 utilities.

Operating Systems: Windows® XP and Windows® Server 2003 only. Requires VB 6 Runtime Libraries, included in Windows® XP.
http://dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

I just dealt with that om a badly infected laptop. A Trojan disabled the Task Manager. I would suggest posting a Hijack This log by following the directiosn below.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log at this section of the forums: HijackThis Logs and Analysis
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 ah_wei

ah_wei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:01 AM

thanx a lot for the help

#6 iSergiwa

iSergiwa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hello,

In many cases, I was forced to do the hard work curing the computers that are infected because they were with no AV already installed on them at all, yes that's true, many people doesn't know whether their computers need an AV software or not, they don't know even know what a computer virus is!

When someone of those ask me for help, I first do an offline scan & clean.

When I boot the computer, I usually be faced with the same thing every time; the virus made some system restrictions in order to make himself hidden, those restrictions are usually the following :

· Disable Ctrl+Alt+Del >> so the user can't see the virus and the other running applications!

· Disable Folder Options >> so the user can't set the option to show hidden files!

· Disable Regedit >> so the user can't see what is going on in system startup!

Unfortunately, AV Softwares have nothing to do with these restrictions and do nothing to re-enable them!

Until AV softwares come with such tool in their next versions, here, you'll find a tiny tool that does the work for AVs, it Re-Enables all what the virus had disabled, and brings every thing back.

RRT (Remove Ristrictions Tool) was designed FOR FREE for every one need to use it!

Download link: (Softpedia)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...ions-Tool.shtml

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks
Issam Sergiwa
http://www.sergiwa.com
I shall not waste my life trying to enlong it!
Sergiwa.com

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

Nice tool! Thanks Issam! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:27 AM

An Excellent Tool,iSergiwa :thumbsup:
-Commander Gman

Edited by Commander Gman, 26 March 2007 - 02:28 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

usasma, and Commander Gman,

Have either of you used the Remove Ristrictions Tool (RRT)?
Does it perform as advertised?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

I ran it on my VM of XP without any issues - but my VM is "pristine" and doesn't have the issues that this tool fixes. I haven't tried to set the restrictions and see if they were lifted due to time constraints. I'd also like to pit it against Doug Knox's Security Console if I can find my copy of it amidst all of my downloads! :thumbsup:

BTW - once you run it, it does open a browser window to the author's home page but there isn't anything malicious there that I can see.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the input, John.
If you do any more testing, I, and I'm sure others, would appreciate hearing about the results.
Start a new topic in the All other Applications forum, if you don't mind.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 iSergiwa

iSergiwa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

An Excellent Tool,iSergiwa :trumpet:
-Commander Gman

I'm happy for you found my tool helpful sir.

Thanks for the input, John.
If you do any more testing, I, and I'm sure others, would appreciate hearing about the results.
Start a new topic in the All other Applications forum, if you don't mind.

You're being a little bit suspicious sir, but no one will blame you for that because you're doing your job. As a moderator, your job necessitate you to be such a skeptic*, because you don't want any harm to be done to any user in this forum because of my tool. you don't know me personally so you have the right to suspect me as I might be one of those sick people I myself hate (maleware authors), so I wouldn't blame you even if you lopped off the link to my tool!

Nice tool! Thanks Issam! :inlove:

You're very welcome sir

I ran it on my VM of XP without any issues - but my VM is "pristine" and doesn't have the issues that this tool fixes. I haven't tried to set the restrictions and see if they were lifted due to time constraints. I'd also like to pit it against Doug Knox's Security Console if I can find my copy of it amidst all of my downloads! :cool:

BTW - once you run it, it does open a browser window to the author's home page but there isn't anything malicious there that I can see.

Sir, you were'nt that skeptic in the begining, but as I can see, it seems that you got infected! :flowers:

Serious now, regardless of what this tool does or what it doesn't, I do care only about the trust, If no one trust me in the first place then I will be wasting my time developing any kind of software!

I created this tool in five minutes long time ago for my personal use because "I needed it" as my job as I mentioned above is to cure the computers. I off course wouldn't lift the restrictions manually every time! I then thought it might be helpful for the others to save them time and efforts if I uploaded it to my personal website and let them download it for free.

I remeber the first time I published it in a website other than mine was in Kaspersky forums, I started a topic about the lack of such a tool in Kaspersky Antivirus and talked about the need of my tool (or a similar one made by Kaspersky himself) but the modersator deleted the topic after 5 seconds!!! and until this moment I still don't know whether he deleted my topic because I uncovered that deficiency of KAV or because (As he explained in a PM) he was afraid someone would get harm from using my tool!

Today, after I got the TRUST, the modersator himself recommends using my virus removal tools when a Kaspersky user get stuck!

So as I said before ... it's all about TRUST :thumbsup:

Thank you for reading and being patient

* as english is not my native tongue, I got this word from the dictionary but I suspect it means something else other than what I wanted to express so if it means any thing bad please don't be offended and please pardon my language. Thanks
Sergiwa.com

#13 lovexlustxrepeat

lovexlustxrepeat

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

i had that problem once, and i got it from a stupid aim virus!! i just lived withought being able to do that, also control alt delete didn't work. i finally rebooted my computer 2 years later lol.

good luck

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hi Issam!

I think that skeptic means exactly what you intended it to me. And, it's not offensive. It's doubting someone until they've been shown to be trustworthy.

The trust must be developed over time and with experience. Posting your work is a good start - now it's up to those of us online to try your work and see if it's good or not. Eventually, as you reputation grows, so will (hopefully) your trust.

It's still (IMO) a great little program - and I can't wait to get the free time to test it even more!

#15 iSergiwa

iSergiwa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

i had that problem once, and i got it from a stupid aim virus!! i just lived withought being able to do that, also control alt delete didn't work. i finally rebooted my computer 2 years later lol.

good luck

OMG two years?! me, I can't wait even for two minutes without pressing ctrl+alt+del to see what's going on in my computer behind my back!

Thank you for wishing me good luck ma'am* :thumbsup:

Hi Issam!

I think that skeptic means exactly what you intended it to me. And, it's not offensive. It's doubting someone until they've been shown to be trustworthy.

Thank you for the expaination sir I really appreciate it

The trust must be developed over time and with experience. Posting your work is a good start - now it's up to those of us online to try your work and see if it's good or not. Eventually, as you reputation grows, so will (hopefully) your trust.

It's still (IMO) a great little program - and I can't wait to get the free time to test it even more!

Thank you for the lifting words sir, thats the spirit i really need.

* An american lady (a southern one from Georgia in specific) told me once to not call a lady "ma'am" as this word gives her the impression that she's old, Is it true?

Edited by iSergiwa, 30 March 2007 - 10:48 AM.

Sergiwa.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users