Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Is Stuck At 100% What Do I Do?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 orestes21

orestes21

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Hi everyone,
Please help me out here. Every day at certain specific times (1am,7am,8:30pm EST) my cpu usage reaches 100% no matter what application, if any, I am using. I have cleaned out my system with CCleaner, and Disk Cleanup. I have scaned for viruses using the free scan from trendmicro. I have scanned for malware and spyware with SpyBot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Ewido and Microsoft malware removal tool. I have defragmented my drive. I have upgraded to all the latest Windows Updates. I am at my wit's end. The system I am running is an Acer Aspire 3610 Notebook; I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. I have an Intel Celeron Processor of 1.50 GHz and 1.50GB of Ram. All this started when I had recently added RAM to my laptop. I was running 512 MB of RAM and had a desire for more speed, so I went to the acer.com website and checked what RAM modules are compatible with my system. I bought the 1GB RAM module specified by them, I ordered it by the given product # in the upgrade checklist I received from acer.com. About a week later I started having this problem, and it always occurs at the same times (see above). I've taken to studying the process list in the taskmanager; there are no unidentified processes, yet the ones that are constantly locked in battle for the most CPU usage are: System Idle Process, EXPLORER.EXE, TASKMGR.EXE, System and of course whatever application I am trying to run (e.g.: Firefox, Media Monkey, Microsoft Word). I have HJT logs of when the system is normal and when the problem occurs; I have compared these logs and they are identical. I don't know what to do anymore. I have browsed the forums in the past and found this site to be very helpful. Please don't let me down. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

You may want to try these two softwares:

Process Explorer and Autoruns.

You can get them at Micr0$oft web site.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

Edited by Walkman, 13 March 2007 - 08:46 PM.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

I had a similar situation recently...

Check taskmanager, to see if a svchost.exe process using greater than 75% cpu resources. Also look for the process wuauclt.exe. There was a Microsoft update method that did some strange things.

Thanks,

rigel

Edited by rigel, 13 March 2007 - 08:45 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 orestes21

orestes21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hi Rigel,

Thanks for the reply. I've been studying my taskmanager for weeks, I've never seen an SVCHOST take up that much CPU power, nor the wuauclt.exe. As I posted earlier my system freezes up for about an hour or so. Even after I close all the applications I've been running my CPU stays at about 10-15% and jumps all the way to 100% as soon as I do anything, including moving the mouse around. I really appreciate your reply but do you have any other suggestions?

#5 orestes21

orestes21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Walkman, I'll try those out.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Have you tried disconnecting from the net before the event starts to see if it happens while offline? Do you know of any program like an automatic backup is installed on your computer? Have you tried turning off security programs that update automatically? How long does the surge last? Is the computer networked?
I don't have anything specific in mind. Just thought those things might be worth checking.

Edited by buddy215, 13 March 2007 - 09:25 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 orestes21

orestes21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hmmm, I have yet to try disconnecting from the net, I will try that next time. I shut off all the automatic backups and recovery programs as I had thought it might be something like that. I have shut off and even uninstalled the security programs with automatic updates. The surges last anywhere between 30 and 120 minutes, give or take. And no my system isn't networked. Thanks for the suggestions though I'l definitely try disconnecting from the net!

#8 orestes21

orestes21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

A big thank you to all you guys. Walkman I'm running Process Explorer and I discovered that when these surges happen it's actually the DPCs (I'm not really sure what this means and what it does) and SERVICES.EXE that are eating up my CPU power. I also tried disconnecting from the net when the surge occurred (thanks buddy215) and the surge passed a lot quicker than usual. It only took about 6-8 minutes as opposed to the usual 30-120 minutes. I appreciate the help but, considering this new information, is there something else I should try to prevent the problem from reoccurring?

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:29 AM

Do you have programs like Nero/Nvidia/Adobe who are looking for updates constantly?What kind of programs do you have running?

#10 orestes21

orestes21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

Actually I do have Adobe and Nero, I thought I had put a stop the automatic updates, but I'll double check that. Thanks!

#11 addyjane

addyjane

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

This has been an interesting topic to read about as I've been stuck at 100% usage for a long time, and PC that freezes quite frequently. I won't go into my problem since I cannot provide advice, and so will open my own, however, I'd be very interested to know exactly what your problem turned out to be and how you fixed it.

Thanks so much!

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

Actually, I asked if you would go offline BEFORE the event occurred. If the event would not start while offline, to me, would mean that your computer is being remotely activated some how.

It would also be a good idea to post a Hijack This log in the proper forum. I see you have done considerable scans already so most of the prep has been done.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Firewall logs---have you viewed those? What firewall do you use?

Edited by buddy215, 14 March 2007 - 10:11 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Actually I do have Adobe and Nero, I thought I had put a stop the automatic updates, but I'll double check that. Thanks!

There are FREE alternatives to both of those programs:

1. Adobe = Foxit
http://www.foxitsoftware.com

2. Nero = DeepBurner
http://www.deepburner.com

#14 osufan4155

osufan4155

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:05 AM

I Googled SERVICES.EXE, and according to http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/services/, it may be either a Windows operating system process or a trojan. Given what buddy215 noted in his post, and that the CPU freed up much more quickly when you disconnected, I would hazard a guess that your SERVICES.EXE is a trojan.

#15 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

Can you check in your firewall what is connecting to the internet? Alternatively if this issue started only after you have added memory you could consider a Memory test here to rule out that side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users