Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnostic Software Tools

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

I've never had to use one, but just wondering if it's a good idea to have one just in case and how is it different than computer security. If could recommend one, which would you recommend? thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

I am not certain what you would include in "diagnostic software tools, " since that could mean a multitude of different things. Perhaps if you could give some examples of what you include under the category, our Members could answer your question in a better manner.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

well basically, I want my machine to run as efficiently as possible...and if there were any programs that would help diagnose this, maybe it would be a good idea. Like detect disk errors or software conflicts. I noticed the category in majorgeeks for diagnostics.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads7.html

Thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

In order to be effective in protecting you computer on line you need some basic protection, a firewall, anti virus, anti spyware, and a anti malewar. and anit adware. The key to keeping your computer safe is to run scans frequently and keep the software up to date. There are freeware and shareware softwares that work well if you can't afford to purchase one. The advantage of purchasing the products is that the freeware and shareware programs are for the most part are not active and may not update themselves. If you are diligent this is not a problem.

Just for the record I use the following.

Zone Alarm

AVG anti virus and anti spyware

Spybot Search and Destroy

Asquared

AdAware

Edited by dc3, 13 March 2007 - 08:43 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users