Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Don't Videos Work On Firefox, But Will On Ie?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

This has been a problem for awhile. Using FF (my default browser)I go to FOXNEWS (never works), ESPN (sometimes works), MLB.com (never works) & other sites, but I can not play the videos they link to. I click on the link, the video window loads fine, but the video never plays on FF. I can generally play them on IE. I've tried using the IE tab feature in FF & still no luck. Last year I watched MLB.com streams of games, but had to use only IE. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've updated FF to the latest version & still no luck. Any ideas out there guys?
Thanks!
PS- FF keeps crashing when I'm using yahoo mail too. Not sure if related, but just as aggravating.
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

I have not experienced such problems. Have you downloaded and installed the following ad-ons? Have you checked your firewall permissions?

Adobe Flash Player
Java Runtime Environment

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

No I don't have those add ons. I'll check those out now. THANKS!!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Just another quick thing, did firefox come back and tell you that you require these programs to run your video?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. Well I've made sure I have the latest "Adobe Flash Player & Java Runtime Environment". I even added media player connectivity add-on. I still can not play any videos on major sites like Espn-Fox News-CNN etc. I can play youtube stuff. It seems to be a problem w/ embedded video (if thats the right term) To answer your question computerwhizz NO I do not get any messages. The browser goes to the link, acts like its going to play. I even get a "loading icon" on some sights, but the video never plays. BTW I can play streaming audio/radio no problem. I've tried with IE tab and still no luck. I have a hard time playing the video on IE as well. Its a real annoying problem. Here are some specs from my browser:

-Latest ver. F.F.
-Pop up block-OFF

Extensions
-Adblock +
-Adblock hidden element
-chatzilla
-customize google
-Dictionary lookup
-download statusbar
-downloadthemall
-fasterfox
-firefox showcase
-flashgot
-forecastfox
-foxclock
-IE tab
-IE view
-imagezoom
-mediaplayer connectivity
-Mousezoom
-Noscript
-passwordMaker
-PDF dowload
-skpe add-on
-tabbrowser preference
-talkback
-US english dictionary
-video downloader

Now I know thats a lot, but would any of these interfere with video playing. (most of these were added recently after the video was already not working) So any help would be nice.
-Any advise of which add on to get rid of?
-Do all these add ons hurt/effect my browser stability & speed?

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

I have mediaplayer conn and I have a 100% score watching video's. You could try to disable all except mediaplayer conn. and see how it works

#7 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

I have no add-ons except IE view and still cannot view foxnews videos. Does anyone know what to change to see fox news videos on Firefox? It works fine on IE. Something with FF only.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

As I mentioned in your other topic, Need Help With Javascript Issue On Firefox, are the sites your having trouble with, allowed, in the NoScript extension.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users